3-4 year old stock...in freezer

About 3 years ago I shot a short documentary on Kodak 7222. I have not shot anything since, but have been thinking about it lately. I have quite a few roles of stock left in my freezer...they have never been taken out and have never been opned, but they have been in there for a few years. What does everyone think? Should I just suck up the cost and buy some new stock, or would it be reasonably safe to use this stuff up?

• Premium Member
About 3 years ago I shot a short documentary on Kodak 7222. I have not shot anything since, but have been thinking about it lately. I have quite a few roles of stock left in my freezer...they have never been taken out and have never been opned, but they have been in there for a few years. What does everyone think? Should I just suck up the cost and buy some new stock, or would it be reasonably safe to use this stuff up?

Hi,

I would do a clip test at the lab, should be fine. Give the film 24 hours to defrost before opening the cans.

Stephen

• Premium Member

I agree, the film is probably fine. But after years of storage, I would still advise running a short test before shooting anything critical. My biggest concern would be physical issues like ferrotyping or ice crystals, if there were excess moisture in the cans during freeze/thaw cycling.