2nd AC Responsibilities With HD

So I'm going to 2nd on an HD shoot this weekend. Since it's a digital shoot what kind of responsibilties should a 2nd be prepared for since there is no real loading or checking the gate, etc...We will be using the Pro35 Adapter.

• Premium Member
So I'm going to 2nd on an HD shoot this weekend. Since it's a digital shoot what kind of responsibilties should a 2nd be prepared for since there is no real loading or checking the gate, etc...We will be using the Pro35 Adapter.

Unless you have someone tasked to handle this, I suspect one of your duties will be dragging around, setting up, cabling to, and moving again, the HD monitor...

Unless you have someone tasked to handle this, I suspect one of your duties will be dragging around, setting up, cabling to, and moving again, the HD monitor...

You say it like that's sush a hassle, lol. That's one thing I'm used to is video monitors. I'm excited to see the Pro35 in action, and all the problems and peculiarities that may come with it. Oh by the way...AWESOME blog on Akeelah and the Bee very informative and helpful. Thanks!

So I'm going to 2nd on an HD shoot this weekend. Since it's a digital shoot what kind of responsibilities should a 2nd be prepared for since there is no real loading or checking the gate, etc...We will be using the Pro35 Adapter.

I would first have a discussion with the 1st ac to learn the routine that he/she would like to use.

Short of that is:

1. Know where everything is! And what it does. Go to the camera prep, whether you are paid for it or not.

2. Always have spare batteries, tapes, most used filters, lenses, slate, and a focus chart close to the camera.

Take charge of battery recharging and make sure that the chargers are plugged into a reliable power source that won't be disconnected without your knowing it.

3. Keep your ears alert to rehearsals and always be prepared to mark actors when needed. Have the marks prepared, on your person ready to go.

4. If you're in charge of the dreaded video village, plan in advance how to cart, power, shade, and cable to the "village".

5. Discuss with the 1st ac and the DP about what information they might want kept in a camera report or log. Make sure all tapes are labeled and stored correctly.

That's about it off the top of my head...From my experience, 2nd ac's are kept really busy on HD shoots!

Have fun!

-bruce

It also depends on which camera you are using. If you are using the HVX 200, I would try to become as familiar with the camera as possible. This matters for all digital camera's too!

My 2nd didn't know how to get the footage off the p2 cards, and organize it, and take care of the whole workflow. This lead to the director taking the job, and slowing us all down. If you see something like this happeneing, atleast try and learn the first time.

Also, keep everything neat and clean. Organize, and label everything you can, with cases, and equipment. Nothing takes more time, than looking for a screw that is proprietary to the certain kind of tripod you are using, and having it be in a random case. Keep everything together!

I would first have a discussion with the 1st ac to learn the routine that he/she would like to use.

Short of that is:

1. Know where everything is! And what it does. Go to the camera prep, whether you are paid for it or not.

2. Always have spare batteries, tapes, most used filters, lenses, slate, and a focus chart close to the camera.

Take charge of battery recharging and make sure that the chargers are plugged into a reliable power source that won't be disconnected without your knowing it.

3. Keep your ears alert to rehearsals and always be prepared to mark actors when needed. Have the marks prepared, on your person ready to go.

4. If you're in charge of the dreaded video village, plan in advance how to cart, power, shade, and cable to the "village".

5. Discuss with the 1st ac and the DP about what information they might want kept in a camera report or log. Make sure all tapes are labeled and stored correctly.

That's about it off the top of my head...From my experience, 2nd ac's are kept really busy on HD shoots!

Have fun!

-bruce

I would have to agree with Bruce on 100% of this. I have shot a few times with different hd cameras and have 2nd for them as well. You will definitly need to stay on your toes all day. Hopefully and if you're lucky they will have the editor or post person there to offload for you so you dont have to split yourself in half. Try to stay in tune with the 1st as well and to what are his needs. The more you can anticipate what he wants the faster you and the production will move.

We weren't shooting on the the HVX, although I have in the past extensively already. W were shooting tape with the Sony F900/R, another camera I have worked with. Most of the gear I've used in the past, it was all the cine style lenses, pro35, etc, that was new to me. Everything worked out fine. I was kept busy though, mostly slating, lens changes assistance, and video village. Everything was kept neat and organized like a good ac should :). Job was a lot of fun! Thank you all for your posts....