I was just wondering if anyone has the "Reflections:21 Cinematographersat Work" book and is it worth the money for what it offers?

From what I read it sounds the type of book I am looking for...examples of scenes and how they are lit by the pros. Is this true?

Thanks

Yeomans

I was just wondering if anyone has the "Reflections:21 Cinematographersat Work" book and is it worth the money for what it offers?

From what I read it sounds the type of book I am looking for...examples of scenes and how they are lit by the pros. Is this true?

Thanks

Yeomans

It's a great book. There's mini-biographies of each cinematographer along with a recreation of a lighting scheme they've used and an overhead diagram of how it was set up and explanations of the whys and hows. I learned a lot from it.

I'd like to see more books like this with more examples. Not everyone has the opporunity to apprentice with a DP right away, and looking at lots and lots of setups can help teach lighting concepts and tricks. It can also inspire new ideas and encourage experimentation. I'd love to get my hands on more overheads.

There's no substitute for doing, but the diagrams in this book can give you a jumping off point. I definitely recommend it.

Jimmy

Reflections is a great book, have a lot inputs examples, pictures, stills, etc; another book with this specifications could be Cinematography (Screencraft) by Peter Ettegui; take a look at Amazon... probably like you

I've recommended this book many times in these forums, definitely one of my favs. If you're new to the idea of becoming a DP, it's a good way to get excited about it through literature. Very optimistic, aesthetic with a highly technical side to it with plenty of examples of nearly every aspect of cinematography.

It's especially interesting to read the theories, sentiments and common practices of various DP's and try to apply them in your own work. It's definitely helped me out in growing towards being a pro-DP.

:)

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank