Aaton ---> Arri mount possible?

Robert Glenn

i can't find anything about an adapter from aaton to arri bayonet mount. It looks impossible just from what i've seen.. aaton seems to have a large flange wihle the arri-b is more compact judging by photos. Are there such adapters?? thanks

• Site Sponsor
i can't find anything about an adapter from aaton to arri bayonet mount. It looks impossible just from what i've seen.. aaton seems to have a large flange wihle the arri-b is more compact judging by photos. Are there such adapters?? thanks

More than possible, both Arri B-mount and Arri std mount adapters are available and many people with Aatons (like me) have arri B-mount glass that they use on a LTR, etc.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

It is simple to put an adapter on a lens with an ARRI bayonet mount so it will fit onto an Aaton camera with an Aaton mount. You really can't get a mount adapter to do it the other way, i.e. putting a lens with an Aaton mount onto a camera with an ARRI bayonet mount.

The reason is that the Flange Focal Distance for the Aaton mount is 40mm and for the ARRI bayonet mount it is 52mm. You can put an adapter onto an Aaton mount camera that will accept an ARRI bayonet mount lens and at the same time increasing the FFD of the Aaton to 52mm. There is no way to put an adapter on an ARRI bayonet mount camera that will decrease the FFD to 40mm.

If you have a lens that you love, and it has an Aaton mount, and you want to use it on a camera with an ARRI bayonet mount, you may be able to have a good lens tech remove the Aaton mount and fit an ARRI bayonet mount in its place.

-Tim