wireing a battery

Joshua Dannais

I spelled wiring incorrectly, and the reason I ask is would anybody have bought this camera for this price?...

Pin 1 is negative and pin 4 is positive.

If the camera has the old governor motor, pins 2 and 3 might be wired to pilot and bloop.

Pin 1 is negative and pin 4 is positive.

If the camera has the old governor motor, pins 2 and 3 might be wired to pilot and bloop.

Does this look right? And then I just hook the wires up to their respective + - on any 12v battery, and doing nothing with the middle wires?

XLR4-pinout.jpg

thanks

• Premium Member

Hi, If your new motor is crystal speed, you don't need pilot and bloop. The photo looks like a Beala crystal motor. All you need is a 4 pin cable where only pins one and four are connected each side. Pins 2 and 3 are not used in this case.

• Premium Member

There are many choices. If you want cheapness go to Bescor (google 'em) and get a 12v lead-acid.

They are heavier than NiCad and won't last as long either, but they fit the bill for many people.

Bescor also sells either NiCad or the more advanced Nickel Metal-Hydride. See if they can supply them with 4 pin XLR plugs. If not, do it yourself, it's easy. A soldering iron, solder, cutter pliers, stripping pliers, and the courage of a lion are all that is required.

Cheers, Bernie

... As for the battery, are there any recommendations and where I can buy one? .../quote]

We have battery belts with a good PowerSonic automatic-cutoff charger for $225. See the website page at http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page10.html . This charges through the reliable XLR plug not the lousy cigarette lighter one.

I am assuming you are in the USA since we are forbidden now to send batteries through the Post Office to overseas, and the other carriers are very expensive.

Thanks for the info on the battery belt... I have one more question pertaining to the motor, yes it is a beala motor and I know it is capable of "wild" speeds of 6-40fps, but how is this setting selected? thanks

please disregard the last post, figured it out.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack the thread, but rather than starting a new one, will this wiring configuration be the same for a Arri 16s, i.e, pin1 power pin4 ground?

Also, would 9v work ok for a governer 24fps motor or will it need to be exactly 8v 3.6a?

-Joel