Meter Caliberation

i bought a new sekonic L 758 cine,,,, my incident and spot reading differ by .3 when metered on a grey card,,,

id like to know please if that much difference is fine and also should it be the same with my new meter or anyways

thanx

abhijit

...my incident and spot reading differ by .3 when metered on a grey card...

Honestly, I'd only be alarmed if both readings were exactly the same. Incident & reflective light are two different things, so in my opinion, you should be getting different readings. Just use them both enough to know which works best for you and to figure out what each reading REALLY means once you get your results back

:)

hi jonathan

thanx a lot for ur input. but i really felt that on a grey card both the incident and the reflected spot should be almost same, of course if they differ now i will have a reading done n use either as and when it suits me.

thanx again

abhijit abde

Honestly, I'd only be alarmed if both readings were exactly the same. Incident & reflective light are two different things, so in my opinion, you should be getting different readings. Just use them both enough to know which works best for you and to figure out what each reading REALLY means once you get your results back

:)

• Premium Member

I wouldn't change a thing.

Try this: have someone hold a greycard outdoors for you. Meter it while they tilt it in several different directions. See how the reading changes? It probably varies by a stop or more if it goes into shadow.

Which of these angles is correct? Who knows. You really shouldn't base anything on the difference between those readings because they are simply different beasts.

• Premium Member

Well, if the grey card is turned into shadow, it will of course, change your reading, but the card is designed to follow the Lambert law, meaning that it equally luminates in every direction... If the source is making an angle, say, from 30° to 45° to the camera direction and the card is facing the lens, the reading shouldn't change even if you tilt it a bit.

• Premium Member
Well, if the grey card is turned into shadow, it will of course, change your reading, but the card is designed to follow the Lambert law, meaning that it equally luminates in every direction... If the source is making an angle, say, from 30° to 45° to the camera direction and the card is facing the lens, the reading shouldn't change even if you tilt it a bit.

It may be meant to follow that law but they generally don't. Try it. I can usually get a full stop or at least 2/3 of a stop of difference by tilting it around in the light.

• Premium Member
Incident and Spot readings off the Grey Card should be the same.

By the way... this is the only instance when they are the same (not including reading in total darkness)

Theoretically they should be the same. In practice, they rarely are. It also complicated things when you figure that most meter companies calibrate their spotmeters to more like 16% grey rather than 18%

Theoretically they should be the same. In practice, they rarely are. It also complicated things when you figure that most meter companies calibrate their spotmeters to more like 16% grey rather than 18%

hello Chris

u mean its ok if im getting that difference of .3 ?? and yea u r right bout some companies caliberating the grey card to 16% n not 18% ..

thanx a lot nways

abhijit abde

Just my 2 cents... Mind that your grey card is not a bit old... Get a brand new one for checking your meter's calibration. A 0.3 of a stop is within the usual range, so that the chart could be the cause...

Hello Laurent

i thought so bout the grey card and i checked it with a newer grey card tooo but it still is giving a difference of .3 , is that all right practically ?? theoritically it must be the same with incident n spot ,,

advise pls

abhijit abde

• Premium Member

;)

theoritically it must be the same with incident n spot

I would say so. Have your meters calibrated. You also can take a correction in account, based on the one you trust must. But I would trust the grey card and consider the spotmeter metering should give the same result as the incident light meter.