LOOKING FOR DP

Guest juan kostar

Guest juan kostar

LOOKING FOR DP WITH HIS OWN EQUIPMENT FOR A VERY SHORT SUBJECT,

HD CAMERA, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA AREA.....

POSSIBLE PAY, ONE DAY SHOOT

• Premium Member

Oh, wow. So we can supply our own equipment so you save money and we probably won't get paid. Awesome.

Learn to have more realistic expectations. What you're asking won't get you a professional.

Guest juan kostar
Oh, wow. So we can supply our own equipment so you save money and we probably won't get paid. Awesome.

Learn to have more realistic expectations. What you're asking won't get you a professional.

I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A PROFESSIONAL AND TALENTED DP LIKE YOU, I'M JUST LOOKING FOR A PERSON WHO LOVES HIS CRAFT AND WILLING TO WORK IN PROJECT THAT ENJOYS TO BE PART OF IT.

• Premium Member
I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A PROFESSIONAL AND TALENTED DP LIKE YOU, I'M JUST LOOKING FOR A PERSON WHO LOVES HIS CRAFT AND WILLING TO WORK IN PROJECT THAT ENJOYS TO BE PART OF IT.

I'm just telling you something that might help you. The vast majority of filmmakers are not rich and need to make money for their time spent.

You're on a site with quite qualified and professional DP's. When you come in asking for one with an HD camera, you'll get blank stares from pros like you'll find here, because we don't own our equipment in most cases, we rent it. The suggestion on posting to craigslist I feel is a valid one.

You're on a site with quite qualified and professional DP's. When you come in asking for one with an HD camera, you'll get blank stares from pros like you'll find here, because we don't own our equipment in most cases, we rent it. The suggestion on posting to craigslist I feel is a valid one.

It must be a good job, it's in CAPITALS.

If you want somebody with their own equipment, including lights & HD camera, you HAVE to at least be able to pay a kit fee.

"POSSIBLE PAY..." COME ON!!!

I don't see what this person did wrong. He is not forcing anyone to take the job- he is putting it out there for those who are interested on his terms. If you don't like his terms, then don't take the job- it's as simple as that! I don't think anyone here should be insulting him or lecturing him on this. He posted this looking for help and laid the terms out plainly for everyone to see. I don't see why everyone who posts an ad for unpaid work should have to be insulted. If the job is not to your liking, don't take it!

• Premium Member

Its not so much he did anything wrong, its that someone will actually take this job. What this does is lower all low-budget pay from little to nothing. If producers can't find free labor they have no choice but to either pay something or not do the shoot.

And with these cheaper "HD" cameras (I still don't consider anything under $80,000 a professional HD camera) being more available, you have more unqualified owner operators willing to step in.

I love my craft, which is why I don't bother taking work that can't/ won't afford to pay for my tools, if they can't pay a kit fee, then they definitely can't pay for any of the gear that lets me do a job to my standards.

• Premium Member
Its not so much he did anything wrong, its that someone will actually take this job. What this does is lower all low-budget pay from little to nothing. If producers can't find free labor they have no choice but to either pay something or not do the shoot.

And with these cheaper "HD" cameras (I still don't consider anything under $80,000 a professional HD camera) being more available, you have more unqualified owner operators willing to step in.

I love my craft, which is why I don't bother taking work that can't/ won't afford to pay for my tools, if they can't pay a kit fee, then they definitely can't pay for any of the gear that lets me do a job to my standards.

I give this message two big thumbs-up.

Big thumbs up here!

I guess deep down that is the reason I still shoot on film rather than "just buy an HD camera" like I've been encouraged to by a few productions. Immediately it tells me how serious the production is. If they balk at film cost, they're less likely to pay me.

I understand what you're saying, but I think a lot of it has to depend on the nature of the job. If it had some budget behind it, and could pay people, but chose not to for whatever reason, I think that would be a much different issue. Then it does absolutely weaken the stance of workers. But on other jobs, where they are have 2000 dollars in the budget, and they state upfront the terms of the job, I feel that is very different. There, the movie wouldn't be made if they paid people, and obviously they would be going with people who want to learn, or who had very little experience and wanted to get a experiment and further their craft. Who didn't take the latter type of job when they were starting out? So, I definitely hear what you're saying Kevin, and I agree with you when the budget is there and they hoard it, but on other types of jobs, I think if they state plainly up front the terms of the job, then there is no inherent reason why a freebie job should be wrong. How many established ACs and electrics decide to shoot a student film for meals and credit so they can build their reel?

I understand what you're saying, but I think a lot of it has to depend on the nature of the job. If it had some budget behind it, and could pay people, but chose not to for whatever reason, I think that would be a much different issue. Then it does absolutely weaken the stance of workers. But on other jobs, where they are have 2000 dollars in the budget, and they state upfront the terms of the job, I feel that is very different. There, the movie wouldn't be made if they paid people, and obviously they would be going with people who want to learn, or who had very little experience and wanted to get a experiment and further their craft. Who didn't take the latter type of job when they were starting out? So, I definitely hear what you're saying Kevin, and I agree with you when the budget is there and they hoard it, but on other types of jobs, I think if they state plainly up front the terms of the job, then there is no inherent reason why a freebie job should be wrong. How many established ACs and electrics decide to shoot a student film for meals and credit so they can build their reel?

Hey I'll do it for free, just go ahead and put every last penny of my salary up on the screen in 35. BTW my salary is $25,000,000.

Oh yeah I'll need a color corrected HD master of that at some point as well.

...I don't bother taking work that can't/ won't afford to pay for my tools, if they can't pay a kit fee, then they definitely can't pay for any of the gear that lets me do a job to my standards.

Getting a liability clause signed by the producers is a good idea too. If you have a crew that was assembled by them, and they're handling YOUR equipment, the production should be responsible for anything that happens to your gear.

On a recent gig, the DP was fired from the set for a couple hours after a mag was broken when the AC didn't lock it in correctly (NOT ME!) and he tried to get them to sign the form AFTER THE FACT. He had an Aaton XTR S16 and the full set of Cooke primes...so you can see why he might want some coverage on his own gear.

OMG!! OMG!! IM TOTAL PRO DP!!! OWN 2 BROKEN SUPER 8 CAMERA, LIVE 5,000 MILES AWAY, HAVE NO INTEREST IN PERFORMING MI BESTS, COULD RUN AWAY

WHEN DO i START?

And then I walk in...

:lol:

Followed by me. :)

A job that isn't willing to even pay a pittence, in my view should be suspect unless its with friends. The point here is that if they can't afford to pay, they can't afford a quality production, so your working against the curve to make your work stand out. Its tough to make a good flick if you suspect the producers don't even have proper permits in place to shoot.

Also what scares me the most (as a person who has done numerous flicks for low low pay or for free sometimes) is that if they can't pay you, they don't have insurance. You can bet on that. If your not getting paid then your probably not rich, so what happens if you fall while placing a light, or otherwise get injured on set. Can you sue the producer? Probably, but they probably don't have money to settle or pay a judgement. So you loose a few weeks to do a free production, you loose the ability to make more money, since your employer was uninsured, and you loose your right to compensation for your injury (something that workers comp would have covered)

I have and will work again for free in the future (gotta start doing student films to make connections). But my work always comes at a price. Can't pay me? rent an HMI, rent a quality camera, buy some film, get me a good script, get me a steady cam or crane for the shot I want to get. There is nothing free. If you ask for work unpaid, expect to make it up in other areas. And please please please get insurance, get permits, get your crew food and coffee. Every free film I have worked on has had one or all of those things in place. If not, I would pick up my own script and make my own flick.

My problem with the advert is its a list of requests and requirements. I see nothing there to entice someone who does want to advance their craft to join up. Not one comment about resources there will be, only what resources there won't be, or that the DP is expected to provide. I have all of those things in the list, but I would need airfare and lodging and per diem from Alaska, do you think they'd be able to do even that? Low budget movie making is about tradeoffs, not trying to find the person who has the resources you refuse to try and find a legit way of getting. I suspect they don't want a DP, they want a camera...and if the guy can run it too, well all the better.

Hey I'll do it for free, just go ahead and put every last penny of my salary up on the screen in 35. BTW my salary is $25,000,000.

Oh yeah I'll need a color corrected HD master of that at some point as well.

You completely misunderstood what I was saying. If it's a 35 shoot, obviously they could bite the bullet and choose to pay crew. On microbudget video jobs, which state up front that there's no pay, I see no issue. If it was a 35mm job or even many super 16 jobs, an entire crew working for free would be very questionable and could potentially weaken the stance of the workers, but a one camera, lowell kit, mini dv feature is a different story. There I see no issue with people asking for free help from those who are interested in experience or building their reels.

[/quotel]

Wow such an enticing post! I can see the long line of people just fighting to work on this production...not!

I think the issue is...if you really have to ask for a freebie because you need help at least have the common courtesy to ask nicely. At least explain what the project is about.

This post is just downright impolite because of its briefness. In the UK there are always posts like this. Its like people are doing you a favour by allowing you to work your ass of for them them whilst using your own equipment for their production. People can't even be bothered to ask politely help and then expect you to jump at such an 'opportunity'...Cheapskates!

You completely misunderstood what I was saying. If it's a 35 shoot, obviously they could bite the bullet and choose to pay crew. On microbudget video jobs, which state up front that there's no pay, I see no issue. If it was a 35mm job or even many super 16 jobs, an entire crew working for free would be very questionable and could potentially weaken the stance of the workers, but a one camera, lowell kit, mini dv feature is a different story. There I see no issue with people asking for free help from those who are interested in experience or building their reels.

Mike,

I wasn't trying to contradict what you were saying. Just trying to point out for whatever reason there seems to be something of a difference between a mini DV/Lowel kit shoot, a pro-bono 35 shoot and 35 shoot where everyone is getting paid and there is money to get all the tools necessary to tell the story in the most compelling and convincing way.

Sure it can be done for free or even very little money (even if all your able to pull off is maybe one or two shots that will only be seen by others via the DP's reel) but I've seen it done many times right with the right amount of money. Hey, maybe inititiative and ingenuity cost money after all.

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread about having the tools to allow us to do our jobs correctly. Last I checked that cost money - money for the follow focus unit and the first to keep it in focus.