Lens mold repair?

AdamBray

I bought a Angenieux 12-120mm. There apprears to be some mold on one of the inner pieces of glass that was not disclosed. Is there a way to get this fixed?

UV light will kill the fungus but not clear it - if it has secreted enough of its poop it will have irreparably etched the glass also ...

So it really depends on the extent of the damage if you want to leave it be as the cost of replacement element will prob be more than the cost of the lens itself - hard to say without seeing it..

Often the effect of the random scattering of light that will result which is basically a decrease in contrast and sharpness (more a decrease in contrast in my experience), maybe even some weird flaring in some cases like you'd get with chipped glass, although I've never seen this - Anyhoo, often its not noticable at all especially if its etched on the outer extremities of the element that have been masked by a closed iris... - I've two lenses of the same type here and one is mint and the other arrived from eBay Isreal with salt water in it - the glass is in shocking condition, but when doing A/B comparisons through the finder I cant see that much difference at all ... we are going to do a film test and have it transfered, should be interesting...

if you are brave and can get it apart theres a polymer cleaning solution named first contact AKA opticlean in the UK that you can put on surfaces that goes from liquid to a solid substrate that comes off like saran wrap.. http://www.photoniccleaning.com/ if you contact the site the guy can give you a smaller amount than what is listed for about 30 bucks if i remember. You probably better talk to a lens tech about taking the lens apart though as the elements obviously need precise spacing and most of the elements are going to be suspended by cement or gasket

• Premium Member
I bought a Angenieux 12-120mm. There apprears to be some mold on one of the inner pieces of glass that was not disclosed. Is there a way to get this fixed?

Maybe you can sell the lens to Christophe:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...c=24026&hl=

One man's mold is another man's art...

• Premium Member

Hello,

Are you sure that it is fungus? Does it look like spider webs?

If so, my recommendation is that you replace the lens. It is probably not worth fixing. The fungus could also contaminate your other glass as well.

Best regards,

Ken Hale

Hello,

Are you sure that it is fungus? Does it look like spider webs?

If so, my recommendation is that you replace the lens. It is probably not worth fixing. The fungus could also contaminate your other glass as well.

Best regards,

Ken Hale

No, it's clearly mold. When I look through the front element, I can see the "spider webs" too. The Ebay seller claims a 100% money back guarantee. I think I am just going to return it to them.

What is the "spider webs"?

Edited by AdamBray

• Premium Member
No, it's clearly mold. When I look through the front element, I can see the "spider webs" too. The Ebay seller claims a 100% money back guarantee. I think I am just going to return it to them.

What is the "spider webs"?

Mold is a type of fungus. The spider webs are actually filaments of the fungus. It is just an easy way of telling whether it is fungus ridden, or just grease. It's good to hear that you can return it.