FCP as a LCD

Brandon Locke

So, I'm shooting with an XL-2 and as you probably know, the lcd on that guy is like a little baby. I was wondering if it was possible to hook my XL-2 up to my MBP and use the computer screen like a LCD for my camera. I was figuring that there's a way to do it in FCP but I couldn't find it. Help please.

• Premium Member
So, I'm shooting with an XL-2 and as you probably know, the lcd on that guy is like a little baby. I was wondering if it was possible to hook my XL-2 up to my MBP and use the computer screen like a LCD for my camera. I was figuring that there's a way to do it in FCP but I couldn't find it. Help please.

Hi, you cant... what the hell is an mbp anyway?

You could, by putting FCP into capture mode, but the monitor window is very small, and you're restricted by the length of your firewire cable.

Why not use the Phono video out, or the BNC out to feed a domestic TV? It won't be anywhere near perfect, but better than the viewfinder.

I used to use this camera a lot a few years back, and that's what we did when the budget wouldn't stretch to a proper monitor.

• Premium Member
You could, by putting FCP into capture mode, but the monitor window is very small, and you're restricted by the length of your firewire cable.

Why not use the Phono video out, or the BNC out to feed a domestic TV? It won't be anywhere near perfect, but better than the viewfinder.

I used to use this camera a lot a few years back, and that's what we did when the budget wouldn't stretch to a proper monitor.

plus the video would lag, not play at the correct frame rate and could even offer a nice split screen effect ocasionally. which is why the answer is no as far as FCP is concerned.

• 1 month later...

Look for Flip-Flop mac program, is like a video assist for mac. works fine with firewire and have dv, hdv and all that kind of formats.

bye!!

treegan

plus the video would lag, not play at the correct frame rate and could even offer a nice split screen effect ocasionally. which is why the answer is no as far as FCP is concerned.

Check out DVrack. I think they have it now for macs. It gives you a screen (with actually very little lag) and gives you the option to see waveform/vectrascope, audio spectrum analizer, and a whole host of other tools. If your going to tote your laptop around to shoot, I'd recomend that software over FCP. It can even do backup recording automatically. I have used it in certain circumstances, but carrying laptops around with all the other stuff I need, sometimes seems excessive.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tim Chambers

Check out ScopeBox (http://www.scopebox.com/).. I got a license with my Redrock Adapter, but since it doesn't yet support HDV over Firewire, I haven't really used it. It should work fine with your XL2, though. Not sure if it solves the firewire lag issue, but you should be able to download a trial and find out.

Tim Chambers

• 2 months later...

Oddly enough, you can do this very easily in iMovie. Just put it in capture mode with teh camera plugged in and it will automaticly give you a large preview. Its slightly delayed by .3seconds or something but its good enough for framing.... You can also record directly this way but not as good as the cameras own miniDV....

• 2 months later...

Bro,

I got the answer for you. It's so easy.

THE GHETTO FAB VIDEO TAP!

See I got this portable DVD player for my kids, a real cheap one, but dude, it's got RCA cables to go out so you can watch the DVDs it plays on a regular TV right, BUT it's also got a switch that makes the AV OUT become AV IN!!!

Run your RCA wires or S-Video to RCA to the portable DVD player and sit back and enjoy. No lag, no programs just video.

-S