which hdv cam is best?

Luka Matijevec

For low key work do you think the HVX is ok. I love the camera personally, but in low key situations, you tend to get alot of noise in the darker areas of frame. I know that the Sony z1 has less noise in the blacks, but i'm not sure of the ASA rating.

I would like to hear other peoples opinions too,

cheers

ken Minehan

• Premium Member
For low key work do you think the HVX is ok. I love the camera personally, but in low key situations, you tend to get alot of noise in the darker areas of frame. I know that the Sony z1 has less noise in the blacks, but i'm not sure of the ASA rating.

cheers

ken Minehan

For low key work, you still want to have some part of the frame with a good exposure,e.g. maybe

a slice of light across a face or a practical lamp or something else. That can help establish a reference

that may make your darker areas seem darker than they really are.

You could use B-Press on the HVX-200 which seems to give rich blacks with less noise.

Luka, with all the hassles of HDV, if you can get an HVX-200, which is DVCPRO-HD I think that

you'll have fewer limitations.

You'll have everyone throwing in their favoured camera on this. I assume you're lighting for a low key effect, rather than shooting at low light levels.

All the HDV cameras can do this, it's which camera you personally prefer image wise, plus the ergonomics and workflow of each camera. Do you want to use a manual zoom, or varifocal length type lens? Do you want to shoot progressive frame or interlace? Can you handle HDV1, HDV2 or the P2 tapeless workflow in your post?

The top HDV cameras all have pluses and minus, which seem to equalise them out, so it really comes down to personal preferences.

cheers

ken Minehan

I agree with you Sony Z1u have rich blacks but you need a lot of light (125 ASA)... Definitely HVX still be a better option...