How to decharge NiCad batteries?

Dan Salzmann

I've changed NiCad cells in two battery packs and I need to charge them (easy, just use a charger!) and discharge them (to avoid the memory effect and also for them to hold a longer charge after I recharge them) before charging them again.

Question is: Is there a way of decharging them without using them to power an empty camera for example?

Hope all this makes sense.

Some charging units have a discharge function built in. On them you simply flip the switch to discharge and turn it on and it dischranges the battery. Those units will usually have a meter so as to know when the discharging is complete.

• Premium Member

Tony is right. I fly RC helicopters as a hobby and battery management is a very important part of it. I've included a link below that has several chargers. The standard in the RC world is the Triton but I personally own the Hobbico and prefer it. The Hobbico allows you to charge 2 batts at the same time. It will discharge and it handles all battery types as well; Li-Ion, Li-Po, NiCd and NiMH.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=PKL

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hi Dan,

I have a pretty cheap multi-charger (by Conrad Electronics, check out this link).

This unit will charge and discharge NiCad und NimH batteries and packs, anything between 1-20 cells. You can use banana plugs to make any adapter cable you might need. It also features a number of nice refreshing and cycling programs.

If you don't have a discharger available, just use a number of 12V bulbs! ;)

Cheers, Dave

Edited by David Auner