Which to go with

Adrian Sierkowski

• Premium Member

So, I am shopping for cameras, and I've settled on Arri. I had asked before whether or not an SR2 package I had scoped out was a good but and had heard that it was; but recently I saw an SR3 on mandy.com for 30,000. It's comparably equipped to the SR2 I was going to buy, most of the same accessories but I was wondering is it worth th extra money (which i had intended to invest in a set of super speed primes)?

What are, then, the major differences from the SR3 to the SR2, and is the 3 really that much better of a camera? Is the Sr2 still professionally respectable, worthwhile, and rock steady? Any input would be amazing as I'm already worried enough to part with my $35000

• Premium Member

Howdy,

Not to be a total company man, but we have a beautiful XTRprod package for $30K up on our website.

See link here.

Two mags, color video assist, cases, front rods, walnut handgrip, eyepiece heater, 4-pos shutter and a Canon 7/63.

Cosmetically it is almost perfect and would look nice with an Xtera upgrade.

- nathan

I would get either an SR3 or an XTR Prod, but only if you can get good glass while you are getting it. The package that Nathan posted looks very nice (though you would probably need another magazine and you might want to upgrade to the 11-position shutter). The viewing system on the SR3 is much better than the SR2, and it has features such as ARRIglow and built in electronics for speed control as well as the 45 and 90 degree shutter option. Nathan's Prod will probably feel the best on your shoulder though. I was looking for a Prod when I found great deal on the SR3 that I bought. They are both great and they are both leaps ahead of the SR2.

• Premium Member

Wow, that is a beautiful package. I'll keep it under consideration. Would you mind e mailing me any information you have on that specific camera to crimson238@excite.com? And also any info on the xtera upgrade (and it's costs)

Best

~Adrian

• Premium Member
So, I am shopping for cameras, and I've settled on Arri. I had asked before whether or not an SR2 package I had scoped out was a good but and had heard that it was; but recently I saw an SR3 on mandy.com for 30,000. It's comparably equipped to the SR2 I was going to buy, most of the same accessories but I was wondering is it worth th extra money (which i had intended to invest in a set of super speed primes)?

What are, then, the major differences from the SR3 to the SR2, and is the 3 really that much better of a camera? Is the Sr2 still professionally respectable, worthwhile, and rock steady? Any input would be amazing as I'm already worried enough to part with my $35000

They're both really nice cameras. You can download a free PDF copy of the original ARRI Instruction Manual for each camera at this web page:

Arriflex 16SRII, 16SR3, and 416 Instruction Manuals

That should help you determine the differences between the two.

Good luck,

-Tim

• Premium Member

I think I might've found an SR3 package for sale from a company called luna tech (replied to me off of an inquiry on optalillumina.com). Anyone ever hear of them? Good news, bad news? aside from that I'm still considering the XTR now after looking over the package Nathan posted and have an e mail into visual products still on the sr2 as a backup. Any advice woudl be great, my poor little head is spinning in the sea of wants v needs.

If time is of no concern to you, why don't you wait until the end of the year and buy a RED One? For 35.000$ you will get a neat package with prime lenses. The camera will be similar in performance (if not better) of what Mel Gibson used for "Apocalypto" (Genesis). Also the RED One is a digital cine camera capable of shooting in a 35mm as well as S16mm mode, so, you will be future proof. Check it out on www.red.com and on this forum as well. Anyway, I guess it's good advice to wait until that camera is out, since, prices for an SR2 or SR3 are bound to drop quite a bit after its release.

Good point. If time and money is of no concern to you, why don't you wait until the end of the year and buy an IMAX camera? For 350.000$ you will get a neat package with prime lenses. The camera will be similar in performance (if not better) of what Mel Gibson used for "Road Warrior" (35mm). Also the IMAX camera is a film cine camera capable of shooting in a 65mm mode, so, you will be future proof. Anyway, I guess it's good advice to wait until that camera is out, since, prices for all cameras are bound to drop quite a bit after their release. :lol:

• Premium Member

I would wait, but unfortunately, I have committed projects already for the S16mm format. Further, the RED is as of yet, a relatively untested platform which doesn't do any good for post-workflows out here in Philadelphia. Film has been around a lot longer than any digital format, and it is in my own opinion very matured as a medium. Aside from that, if need by I could rent a red, for certain, and still use all the accessories for the Arri. I wish I could wait until the end of the year; but the holiday shopping season is always a hassle.

Back to the point at hand, anyone ever have dealings with Luna Tech? He wants the money by wire transfer, is this normal? What risks are involved? I implore answers, please; 30,000+ is a large chunk of change to part with.

• Premium Member
Back to the point at hand, anyone ever have dealings with Luna Tech? He wants the money by wire transfer, is this normal? What risks are involved? I implore answers, please; 30,000+ is a large chunk of change to part with.

I agree with Robert. For $30,000, it is worth your while to fly out and inspect the camera yourself. Also, any reputable dealer will let you send the camera to ARRI INC. in New York for an inspection (at your cost, but hey, it is only the cost of shipping and $100 for the inspection). And the camera stays in the seller's name until after ARRI has checked it out and you have paid the seller the money. So it is no risk to the seller at all. Heck, I did this when I bought an Arriflex 16SR for $6000. I wouldn't even think about parting with $30,000 without an inspection by ARRI.

Any seller who won't agree to this is trying to hide something and I would run away from the deal as fast as you can.

-Tim

• Premium Member
Wow, that is a beautiful package. I'll keep it under consideration. Would you mind e mailing me any information you have on that specific camera to crimson238@excite.com? And also any info on the xtera upgrade (and it's costs)

Best

~Adrian

An Xtera upgrade runs around $15,000 or so and includes an overhaul as well as the installations of the new PBY junction box (add extra connectors), top rod bracket for lens motors, new assistant-side display (with some really nice features for when shooting multiple speeds or reporting timecode etc..) and the new VHR progressive video assist which just looks magnificent. Oh! And you can mount two batteries, which adds a little weight, but reallt balances out nicely as it moves the battery weight behind your shoulder so you're pulling the camera down with the hand grip rather than pushing it up.

You can see a picture of what till look like with the upgrade here on Aaton's website.

It's actually a pretty sweet deal. For the cost of what would once only be a new video assist you get all of the other stuff as well as an overhaul, making the camera a bleeding edge piece of engineering. For that complete package mentioned before $30K + $15K for an Xtera upgrade you have a whole Xtera kit for $45K when a brand new Xtera body (no lens, mags etc...) would run about $50K on it's own.