What lube to use?

ken wood

Recently I found a mostly pristine Super8 camera in a antique store. I spent $18 on it. It's a Kobena 421. I had never heard of it before. Rather well made. Almost all metal parts. The gears are all brass. One nice feature is the AA batteries go in their own separate holder which is then clipped into the rear of the camera.

When I got it home and into a bright light I found that it had been dropped. Slight ding in rim of lens. No problem with lens but the main metal platform that holds the lens and other parts was bent.

So, I disassembled and figured out a way to straighten the part.

I also cleaned the brass gears and all glass.

Surprisingly, I got it all back together and everything works. Meter Ok after new 1.35 Wein battery installed.

My question is what should I use to lube the gears? Motor runs nicely but sounds a bit dry.

I have some pictures of this little gem but they are at my office. I post a link to them later.

btw: The Kobens even had a partially used Kodak II cart left in it. Guess I'll use it up and see what was already on it.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know about the lube, but don't bother finishing the film. Kodachrome II was discontinued about 30 years ago and doesn't use the current K-14 process. Rocky Mountain CAN process KII, but it's pricey, dicey and takes months.

I've used Nyoil in Bell & Howell Filmo and Eyemo cameras for years with great results. It is available from Micro-Tools and that little bottle goes a very, very long way. Use sparingly.

Thank you, Dan.

I have never been to the Micro-Tools. Good stuff. I now have a new wish list.