What's your favorite weird movie?

James Steven Beverly

I was just watching Repo Man yesterday....well because I like strange weird and bazaar movies, ESPECIALLY if they're well made. I liked this movie because it is so strange (BTW I know this next question belongs in special FX but how did they achieve the glowing Nova at the end, it LOOKS like they painted it with luminescent paint). My favorite weird movie though has to be Wild at Heart, I love Lynch's work, he truly is a genius and a LOT of his movies fall into the weird category. What are your favorite strange, kinky pleasures? B)

When I saw the topic I immediately thought "Repo Man" - funny that it's what spurred the thread. That's definitely one of my favorite weird movies. I'm too young to have seen it when it first came out, but I was fortunate enough to see it for the first time on the big screen in college. I bought the special edition DVD (the one that comes in the license plate tin) and watch it at least 2-3 times a year.

As for the glowing car, according to the DVD commentary they did only use luminescent paint, no special effects. I'm not sure if I believe that entirely, but that was straight from Alex Cox's mouth. He also talked about how the John Wayne story from Miller was taken nearly word-for-word from a friend of his (Cox), who claims to have actually installed two-way mirrors at his home in Brentwood, and saw him come the door in a dress.

I still think Alejandro's Dune would have been magnificent, a masterpiece. Ah well. As I see it, most of the team went to make Alien, itself a masterpiece, but not up to the raw potential of the origin material within Dune.

I quite like the David Lynch version regardless - but I agree the Jodorowsky version from what I've read about in terms of what he was going to do with the story, the production design team and oh yes and Pink Floyd ...

Prob would have been cult classic

• Premium Member
Wow, you've seen it too? I saw this at Sundance 6 or 7 years ago and loved it! I just checked and it's now on Netflix. Cory McAbee is a genius!

The Live Director's commentary is filmed live in a bar in Brooklyn. It was fairly interactive with the audience.

When you watch again pay attention to professor Hess sitting in the bar on Ceres give basic background info and explain the story about to unfold.

I''m happy to hear someone else enjoyed the film.

Going old school Tod Browning's "Freaks" rules.

jodorowsky-dosje-ins5.jpg

He was also going to make DUNE - have a read... fascinating stuff: http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowsky.asp

poster_large.gif

This almost reminds me of some of those 16th century depictions of Hell. I can't remember the artist's name, but the feel seems very similar, The photos I mean of coarse.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Well kinda, some of his stuff is weird too, but the piece I was specifically thinking about, I've seen a few times and remember reading that it was much older than I had thought because the style seemed almost beat or surrealistic. Maybe I've got the era wrong I'll run across it again at some point I'm sure.

• Premium Member
What are your favorite strange, kinky pleasures? B)

Bad Boy Bubby

Apart from the story which involves bubby having sex with his mother, eating a (real) cockroach and killing a cat (also real) in the first 20 mins, it was made in a very interesting way. Firstly it has something like 23 cinematographers. Even though IMDB doesn't reflect this, they used a different cinematographer for each major story change to reflect his changing perspective on the world. ALL of the sound was recorded not with a boom, but with a special bi-aural microphone that was fitted to the actors ears. ALL of the films sound was recorded from Bubby's perspective. no ADR. All the atmos too. It's way ahead on so many levels, and made for such a low budget.