Most beautiful film in the last couple years?

Which movie in the past couple of years do you personally think is the most beautiful? in other words eye-pleasing?

I am stuck between two movies that i really loved (both storywise and especially when it comes to the cinematography), I know they (storywise) might not be up everyones alley, but i think everyone (more or less) would agree that the cinematography is inspiring!

The two movies I'm talking about are "Perfume: The story of a murderer" and "Memoirs of a geisha". The lighting in these movies, the colours, the camera movement and angles were all brilliant in my opinion. Just two movies that stuck in my mind.

Well, how about everybody else? Which movie pleased your eyes?

Andrew

Edited by andrew heggli

• Premium Member

So, so, so many. My DVD collection is full of movies that exhibit great cinematography despite being only mediocre films, and is embarrassingly lean on great films that exhibit "ordinary" cinematograhy...

For visual favorites, I always come back to Snow Falling on Cedars. For some reason I put in Hannibal a lot, just for the lighting...

It's funny you mention Memoirs; the film was too beautiful throughout that it kind of took me out of the story, away from the hardship of the girl's upbringing. But I do own a copy just because it's so beautiful ;)

I understand what you mean by too beautiful- If you look at the color and tone in Scarface it's pastels and soft- so it juxtaposes the action and dialog. But that isn't as recent- I really like the way the camera moves in Waiting. And also like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for light.

I can also understand what you mean when you say it was too beautiful, but i think that could also help the story in that even though everything on the outside is perfect, they had real problems on the inside, and though one of the geisha (Li Gong), hatsumomo, was beautiful her beauty was the opposite of her personality.

I haven't seen Snow Falling on Cedars, but I will make sure I see it very soon!

In Scarface (though its ages since I've seen it) I think the colours were also pastels and soft because of the clothes they wore at that time. I havne't seen Waiting either, but i will make sure i see it!

Thanks for the replies!

• Premium Member
The New World, followed by 2046.

If you liked 2046, check out In The Mood For Love (if you haven't already). And if you like Malick, Days of Heaven is hard to beat.

But of course this list could go on and on and on...

If you liked 2046, check out In The Mood For Love (if you haven't already). And if you like Malick, Days of Heaven is hard to beat.

Indeed. In the Mood for Love is one of my alltime favorites and ranks very high on my alltime best cinematography list. Days of Heaven is #3 on my list.

This list was asking for recent pics, though, so I didn't mention In the Mood.

Edited by Tom Lowe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...