can someone recommend me some good asian films?

Adrian Andronic

I began viewing kurosawa movies some weeks ago, I saw Ikiru(to live) , Rashomon and i find them very different from the European and American movies i saw. I would like to see more asian movies , but i don't like the kung-fu or horror ones....Can someone recommend me some other movies?

Two of the other great Japanese directors are Ozu & Mizoguchi. I would recommend

Ugetsu - Mizoguchi (1953)

Sansho the Bailiff - Mizoguchi (1954)

Tokyo Story - Ozu (1953)

Early Summer - Ozu (1951)

From 1976 I like 'In the Realm of the Senses' directed by Oshima

From 2000 'Tokyo Trash Baby', more serious than its title suggests, about a young woman who becomes obsessed with a guy who lives in her apartment building & starts going through his garbage, trying to understand his life through it.

I've seen some excellent films from Korea in recent years although often it's on TV & I don't remember the name which can be annoying. I really like the work of Joon-Ho Bong. I've seen 'Barking Dogs Never Bite' & 'The Host' which are two completely different movies. He also made 'Memories of Murder' which is said to be excellent but I haven't seen it yet.

You're on a bold and wonderful journey. A good online resource for Japanese cinema is www.midnighteye.com

which will cover some of the contemporary stuff that I love. I'm a big Takashi Miike fan but its something of an acquired taste. There is a BFI film about Japanese cinema which might give you some pointers as well. There are a lot of great samurai films made by other directors besides Kurosawa so its worth checking them out as well. Also there are some great Japanese co-productions which you might enjoy like "Hiroshima Mon Amour" or even the somewhat dated but strangely enjoyable "Shogun" tv series.

There's lots to see but as I understand it most of it goes fairly unwatched in Japan. From China it might be worth having a look at the films of Fruit Chan who sometimes flies under the radar a bit but his feature from a few years ago "Dumplings" is an all time favorite of mine, and its shot by Chris Doyle. If you can find the short its probably the stronger of the two though. Hope you get to see some of this stuff and don't be afraid to watch the films from the 50's and 60's or some of the erotic stuff which can be really good as well, just a little weird. Oh and a teenage angst bully film (modern) called "Blue Spring" is well worth seeing. Something like the american film "Brick".

Sasha

• Premium Member
and to me one of the most facinating : Hsiao-hsien Hou (taiwan)

How could I forget mentioning him.... :ph34r:

Speaking of Taiwanese director's, the other one of note is Edward Yang (who recently passed away)

How could I forget mentioning him.... :ph34r:

Speaking of Taiwanese director's, the other one of note is Edward Yang (who recently passed away)

you forget because he is out of any classifications, lists or whatever he is "cinema" not only asian cinema

just my taste i'm not a big fan of M. Bay ;)

Yes to whoever mentioned Fruit Chan, he made the excellent film "Durian Durian' about a young woman who goes from China to HK to earn a lot of money as a prostitute. Then she returns to her town in China & gets back to normal life. The HK footage looks quite Wong Kar Wai/Chris Doyle influenced.

A great Wong Kar Wai film is 'Fallen Angels'.