One light telecine to DVCAM?

David Auner aac

• Premium Member

Hi folks,

I've talked to a telecine service here in Vienna concerning their different telecine options. Would you consider a one-light SD telecine to DVCAM enough for tests and fooling around with 16mm to learn the basics? I figured that a one-light transfer would show errors in exposure more directly than anything else. The estimated cost for 30m/120ft is around 50 EU.

They also offer a HD/2k transfer to HDD, but the cost seems rather high for that. They charge around 700 EU for one hour of telecine time and transfer to HDD and say they can finish about 120m/400 ft per hour.

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers, Dave

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
Hi David, that seems a very reasonanle price. I'm based in Prague and would appreciate the contact details of the transfer house as I've just put a roll through a new camera. Thanks, Tim

Hi Tim,

these people are quite close to my place, they do have a good reputation here in Austria and IIRC do telecine for most of our country's film output (which isn't much, mind you).

Here's their contact details:

LISTO Videofilm GmbH

Gumpendorferstrasse 132

A-1060 Vienna

+43 (0) 1 596 15 15

office@listo.at

The other place to do telecine here is:

Synchro Film, Video & Audio Bearbeitungs GmbH

Schottenfeldgasse 14

1070 Vienna

Austria

email: office@synchrofilm.com

tel: +43 (1)524 93 10

fax: +43 (1)524 93 10-20

I will get their prices & conditions per email next week, if you want I can post the info when I get it. If you do send your roll to one of these places let me know what you thought of the results!

But I wonder that there is no facility in Prague who does this for a good price. From what I hear loads of (foreign) pictures are shot there. But maybe they all do theír post at home...

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

Thanks for the contact details David, I'll probably send the roll to them next week and will let you know the results. There are several TK's in Prague but 50 EUR really sounds cheap. Here are some links to some in Prague

http://www.barrandov.com/en/telecine-transfers

http://www.upp.cz/new/homepage_en.php

http://www.ppp.cz/frame03.html

Thanks again, Tim

• Premium Member

Hi Dave,

Shoot a color chart or grey scale on the front of the roll & ask them to grade to that. Any deviations that occur should be what you want! Be warned they may well change things as they go trying to help you, so explain it's a test and you want to see any 'mistakes' that you made (night shots will stay dark)

Stephen

Hi folks,

I've talked to a telecine service here in Vienna concerning their different telecine options. Would you consider a one-light SD telecine to DVCAM enough for tests and fooling around with 16mm to learn the basics? I figured that a one-light transfer would show errors in exposure more directly than anything else. The estimated cost for 30m/120ft is around 50 EU.

They also offer a HD/2k transfer to HDD, but the cost seems rather high for that. They charge around 700 EU for one hour of telecine time and transfer to HDD and say they can finish about 120m/400 ft per hour.

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers, Dave

Cheers, Dave