Death of John Pytlak

Alain LeTourneau

Anne, John Pytlak's daughter, wrote:

He gave me his username and password a few weeks ago and wanted me to inform you of the news when needed

Never was a man so ill-deserving of death, nor so well prepared.

Even in this final item, John made sure that the right people had the right link and the right information to pass on the news.

In some ways we are all John's family - but special thanks should go to his own family, who obviously gave him so much strength in his final year.

• Premium Member

One of the last things John and I talked about, as he drove me and my wife around Rochester, NY a couple of years ago, was his pride and love for his family. He was also very fond of the city and of Kodak as a company. I feel honored to have met him in person. He was as nice as you'd think he would be from reading his posts, and clearly his parents raised him well.

John helped me get my first film project through without mistake. He would always answer questions, from the bone-headed queries to complex demanding questions with simplicity and ease. Its a great man who can take complex issues and explain everything in a way that is simple and understandable. He will be missed and I will always remember how his work helped a small indie filmmaker all the way up in Alaska. I hope his family knows how important and gracious he was to our community, in ways he'd never know.

• Premium Member

I was saddened to hear of John's passing. Though I didn't know him very well, it was clear to me just from reading his words that he was a truly generous person and a gentleman. He was part of the balance of this forum which was ever-curteous, knowledgable, professional, and helpful to those of us with less experience, and for that alone, he will be missed tremendously. I hope more of us follow in his footsteps and help to make this forum as John would have wanted it to be.

We miss your presence, John.

• Premium Member
I would propose that we begin to discuss the idea of a film fund named in his honour.

This has already been under discussion in the thread in the Stocks and Processing folder here. I e-mailed him privately about the idea in early July. His preferences for the projects of that fund are in his response:

"I would be honored to be remembered in some way like a memorial fund. Something that aids student cinematotographers with the technical side of the business would be appropriate, perhaps an annual seminar at at a technical conference, or help with purchasing technical books."

The ACVL may have some money to get this going. Some of us have been discussing it in e-mails, send me your address if you'd like to partcipate in that. At least, in his last few weeks, he knew that we would remember him in this way.

-- J.S.

This has already been under discussion in the thread in the Stocks and Processing folder here. I e-mailed him privately about the idea in early July. His preferences for the projects of that fund are in his response:

"I would be honored to be remembered in some way like a memorial fund. Something that aids student cinematotographers with the technical side of the business would be appropriate, perhaps an annual seminar at at a technical conference, or help with purchasing technical books."

The ACVL may have some money to get this going. Some of us have been discussing it in e-mails, send me your address if you'd like to partcipate in that. At least, in his last few weeks, he knew that we would remember him in this way.

-- J.S.

Ok well if John was personally in favour of the idea I think that pretty much settles it, we'll do it!!

All we really need is a Pay Pal account managed by a trusted forum member. We can all make donations with an amount we're comfortable with, then find a fair way to dispense the funds in memory of John to a deserving student.

I think perhaps the funds could be handed out on the aniversary on John's passing, to keep him fresh in our minds.

R,

Guest Tim Partridge

Like everyone who knew his name, I was gutted to hear of John's cancer diagnosis and eventual passing. A highly positive, knowledgable, patient and generous character on this forum, and indeed across the whole online film community, as well as of course the film industry. Always inspiring, always encouraging and always willing to give time to those who want to learn.

Thoughts and prayers with the family and friends of John at this difficult time.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
I'm sorry to dig out this topic after all those months, but I think this might be of interest to some of you:

No apologies necessary, thanks for brightening up my morning coffee. How like John to not miss a chance to flirt with Renee Zellweiger onstage in front of his kids.