Periscope Viewfinder for 2C ?

BANNED Patrick Tong

Patrick,

The periscopic finder for the 16S & 16M is the same periscopic finder used for the 35 2C. I've used the finder from a 16S/B on a 2C before. I just looked at May 1975 price lists for the 16mm and 35mm cameras, it lists the periscopic finder catalog number as 339-100 on both lists.

On the 35 2C list, they add this description "shows approx.22mm diameter field on Arri-35 2C". This means you won't see the entire frame. You have to move your head around to see the edges.

The 1975 list price of 339-100 periscopic finder was $800.

When the 35-III was introduced, it came with the basic camera door with fixed viewfinder. I recall using a periscopic finder with this set-up. In Arri's October 1988 price list for the 35-III, they list the same periscopic finder # 339-100. "Note: In 35mm format, only 25mm of diagonals are visible in the viewfinder."

The 10/88 list price for the periscopic finder was $2025.

In 1975, the 35 2C/B body only listed at $5,200.

Also in 1975, Arri did list a 35-2CBT camera "with movement for two perforation pulldown, Techniscope film gate (9.5 x 22mm/0.373 x 0.868) 200 degree shutter and groundglass marked for Techniscope format". This body listed at $6,150.

I hope this helps. The finder is a very helpful tool for the 2C!

Charlie

• Premium Member

Patrick,

Sometime in the next week I will have a 2C in hand to inspect, and I have the ARRI periscopic finder, so I will try it on and see how well it works. But I am confident in Charlie's information, he has never steered me wrong before.

-Tim

hi

will arri periscope finders fit the arri 2A and 2B as well as the C

best

rob spence

Rob,

The periscopic finder won't work on the 2A or 2B cameras with the original doors. The 2C model offered "larger, brighter viewing field by completely redesigned new finder optical system with larger ground glass 6.5x image. Detachable eye-piece assembly permitting use of either periscopic finder attachment, new automatic closure eye-piece assembly, or eye-cup assembly for cameraman who wears eyeglasses."

The 2A and 2B do not have ?detachable eyepieces?. Not to say that some 2B cameras haven't been modified along the way with the 2C door, and therefore could use the periscopic finder. There was a discussion about this on the forum a while ago ? 2C doors on a 2B body.

Patrick and Tim,

I pulled the pieces together and put a periscopic finder from a 16S/B on a 35-III with straight, fixed finder with video tap. It worked fine, with no vignetting of the image or on the ground glass markings (academy, 1:1.37, tv safe action). I looked through a auto closure ocular (16S and SR), and the larger ocular that the 35-III provided with their door that has the pivoting finder with the video tap (the last and best design made for the 35-III). I shot with this set-up on my 35-III for a few months while waiting for the new pivoting finder/video tap door to be released.

Patrick,

If you are not in a hurry, you can find the periscopic finder on FleaBay for less. These things appear from time to time. I'm sure the one from Visual will be in top-notch condition, unlike the crapshoot with FleaBay. If do you get one, one thing to remember, when you pivot the finder up or down, the image will not remain level, but will tilt to a max of 90 degrees. Not good when hand holding, you might get disoriented and fall over.... right Tim? (not that Tim has fallen over, while shooting that is, but the tilted image :P ).

Charlie

• Premium Member
If do you get one, one thing to remember, when you pivot the finder up or down, the image will not remain level, but will tilt to a max of 90 degrees. Not good when hand holding, you might get disoriented and fall over.... right Tim? (not that Tim has fallen over, while shooting that is, but the tilted image :P ).

Charlie

Yeah, that rotating image thing is freaky. I was used to the viewfinder on the 16SR where I could rotate it all around and the image would stay level. The first time I rotated a periscopic finder on a 16S/B I was like, "What the hell!?" Takes a bit of getting used to.

-Tim

• Premium Member
Thank you , Tim :rolleyes:

Awaiting for your good news!

:P :P :P

Patrick,

Just put the periscopic finder on the 2C and it works fine. You get a little bit of corner vignetting but the whole academy frame is completely visible.

Best,

-Tim