arri ground glass markings

rob spence

Hi all,

is it possible to mark my own 185 markings on my academy arri 2b groundglass?

If so whats the best method

best

rob spence

Take the ground glass out and set it on a surface plate. Now mount a very sharp #4H drafting pincel to a variable heigth gauge. Find the center of the ground glass with the tip of the pencil. Now raise the heigth gauge one half of the heigth of a 1:85 frame and slide the gauge along the surface of the ground glass. Repeat for the lower line.

Take the ground glass out and set it on a surface plate. Now mount a very sharp #4H drafting pincel to a variable heigth gauge. Find the center of the ground glass with the tip of the pencil. Now raise the heigth gauge one half of the heigth of a 1:85 frame and slide the gauge along the surface of the ground glass. Repeat for the lower line.

That's the easy part, with the 2B, it's hard to get the ground glass out of the camera, then put it back in and check to make sure the depth is correct.

Chuck, do you recall the procedure for removing the g.g. from the camera? If I recall, I think you have to remove the gate, then the g.g. can be removed from the g.g. holder. The holder not only holds the g.g., but it also has the reflection reducing vanes that make those vertical lines you see. Very delicate. I don't think you can pull the g.g. out through the lens port like on the 2C. I have a parts list for a 2B somewhere that has exploded views and I'll look at my 2A. Anyway, I think the g.g. holder may need to be removed from the camera in order to slide the g.g. out so you can set it on a surface plate.......

Or, you could check with Shurco Tool and see if they can cut one of their g.g.s for a 2B. They make very good g.g.s! Then have your g.g. "brightened" by Bernie O. I did that with one of my 35-III g.g.s and it does let more light through.

Charlie

• Premium Member
Chuck, do you recall the procedure for removing the g.g. from the camera? If I recall, I think you have to remove the gate, then the g.g. can be removed from the g.g. holder. The holder not only holds the g.g., but it also has the reflection reducing vanes that make those vertical lines you see. Very delicate. I don't think you can pull the g.g. out through the lens port like on the 2C. I have a parts list for a 2B somewhere that has exploded views and I'll look at my 2A. Anyway, I think the g.g. holder may need to be removed from the camera in order to slide the g.g. out so you can set it on a surface plate.......

This might help. From the ARRI service manual:

2B-GG.jpg