Inspirational images

Ralph Tabith

• Premium Member

Boy is that an open invitation. I find a lot I like in large format photography. The equipment forces it to be very though out and planned and composed. There is the possibility for either very shallow depth of field or for everything to be sharp as a tack. The tendancy toward very round irises and old lenses gives me a lot to look at, too:

hannah_porch_030.jpg

hermans_bed_kenner_LA_WB.jpg

I also have an affinity for very handmade photographs. Handmade emulsions, collodion, tintypes, very old lenses, et cetera. All have a unique one-of-a-kindness and I find the "flaws" beautiful:

kerby_trip.jpg

• Premium Member

Thanks Chris!

I thought it might be.

I think if i start posting images i won't be able to stop! I watched a documentary on Akira Kurosawa last night so I'm kind of saturated in extraordinary imagery at the moment.

Loved your stills also BTW. Who shot the three heads? Looks familiar.

Kieran.

• Premium Member
Loved your stills also BTW. Who shot the three heads? Looks familiar.

Kieran.

That is work by Quinn Jacobson. He works exclusively in the wet collodion negative process and in ambrotypes. I first saw some of his work in Ogden, UT where we both grew up, albeit twenty years apart. I believe he works in Germany now.

If you're going to show a frame of a Kurosawa anamorphic movie like "Yojimbo", please show the whole frame. ;)

True, I should be more respectful of Kurosawa :) - watched seven samurai at a local cinema recently, hairs stood up on the back of my neck ! the last image is beautiful, almost caravaggio like with the chiaroscuro lighting..

Edited by Ralph Tabith

loving the rocket ship, famous illustrator?

It's by Chesley Bonestell, the astronomical painter. It was the cover illustration on Willy Ley's "The Conquest of Space",

which was written as a showcase for Bonestell's paintings.

He also worked on georg Pal movies, notably 'Destination Moon' and 'When World's Collide'.

bonevonb.jpg

Prior to the astronomical paintings he was a matte painter at RKO, worked on 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' and 'Citizen Kane'

The other is Alma-Tadema's 'Antony and Cleopatra', the Greek queen of Egypt.

The 'research image' function wouldn't work with larger versions.

I love the multiple planes and the various frames within frames. & the big grey quinquiremes contrasting with the opulent barge.

The shield on the left is reflecting the barge.

Here's a larger, more detailed version:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

• Premium Member
The other is Alma-Tadema's 'Antony and Cleopatra', the Greek queen of Egypt.

The 'research image' function wouldn't work with larger versions.

I love the multiple planes and the various frames within frames. & the big grey quinquiremes contrasting with the opulent barge.

The shield on the left is reflecting the barge.

Here's a larger, more detailed version:

That's much more impressive in a larger size. How large is the original?

It's by Chesley Bonestell, the astronomical painter. It was the cover illustration on Willy Ley's "The Conquest of Space",

which was written as a showcase for Bonestell's paintings.

He also worked on georg Pal movies, notably 'Destination Moon' and 'When World's Collide'.

I will look him up - a contemporary artist who has used sci fi imagery is this guy / glenn brown \ his paintings are meticulous -

digital.jpg

I'm getting a bit carried away since I found the 'Helen of Troy' site, but that and 'The Mysterians' were major

films from my childhood.

This particular image of the horse outside the city has stuck with me all my life":

2RGreekgift_604A.JPG

Deep focus on a night exterior with ASA 25 film.

Look at the left edge of the spear on the left.

It's two passes. The unlit spears are out of focus on the back ground pass, causing some spill over.

And the harbor of Troy was a recurring dream image for 20 years.

troyjanport.JPG

Admittedly the dream image was from a Heddy Lamarr movie, rather than the Robert Wise one.

But I can't find screen grabs of that one.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

A few more images. I like these not only for visual impact but the history behind the images.

msg-11937534752.jpg

Picasso's "Guernica"

msg-119375347588.jpg

Rembrandt's "The Conspiracy of Claudius Civilis (cut-down), 1661-62"

msg-119375347408.jpg

Georges Seurat's "Un dimanche de la Grande Jatte"