50' 16mm reels

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

Does anyone know if empty 50' 16mm daylight spools are available, and, if they are, where I could get some?

Thanks,

Aaron

• Premium Member
Try double 8mm , i have 2 - 25 foot spools

i agree, you should be able to find them as double 8mm. I have one from an antique bolex, with the bolex logo on it. It's a keepsake so I'm not selling it. But you should be able to find some.

-Tim

Does anyone know if empty 50' 16mm daylight spools are available, and, if they are, where I could get some?

Thanks,

Aaron

This is a strange coincidence- I literally just came back from here: http://www.bluemooncamera.com (they're in No. Portland) to get a 25' R8mm spool, and the owner there also pulled out a 50' metal spool that was for r8 as well (it had a #1 on one side and #2 on the other), but looked like it could maybe be used in a 16mm camera. The center hole may have been slightly smaller, but I'm sure they could try to fit it onto one of their 16mm cameras to see if it works. try them!

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)
This is a strange coincidence- I literally just came back from here: http://www.bluemooncamera.com (they're in No. Portland) to get a 25' R8mm spool, and the owner there also pulled out a 50' metal spool that was for r8 as well (it had a #1 on one side and #2 on the other), but looked like it could maybe be used in a 16mm camera. The center hole may have been slightly smaller, but I'm sure they could try to fit it onto one of their 16mm cameras to see if it works. try them!

Thanks a lot for the tip. I will give them a shout.

Didn't the Bell and Howell magazine cameras take a 50' load? I wonder if I could get empty reels from them...

Aaron

• Premium Member
I've never seen or heard of 50' daylight spools but 100' spools are easy to find. Any film lab should be able to give you some.

for the most part - I think they fall into the Golden Oldie catagory. I have found one in an old Camera, Marked "Cine Kodak Spool" so that is probaly dating back to the 1950's .

I have seen 50 ft return reels, - they were popularly used to distribute 30 second TV spots. but they are not for Camera use. A look at the site for Taylor reel, http://www.tayloreel.com/ has the page for Daylight spools broken. You may want to e-mail them to see if they have any idea where to get them. The other brand of small reels and spool I was aware of is zeta, but I can't seem to locate their web page.

KOdak does list some 50 ft loads for high spped cameras, you might want to call there 800 line and see if they also sells them separately.

The Magazine loads used a special core, no spool.

Regular 8 Came with a spool with 4 slots on one sode and three on the other to ensure the spool was the right side up. 100 Ft regular 8 loads were normaly provided on 16mm Spools AFAIK, as anyone using them was probaly aware of the technology involved.

• Premium Member
I have seen 50 ft return reels, - they were popularly used to distribute 30 second TV spots. but they are not for Camera use. A look at the site for Taylor reel, http://www.tayloreel.com/ has the page for Daylight spools broken. You may want to e-mail them to see if they have any idea where to get them.

Just for fun I posed the question to someone from Taylorreel and they replyied :

-----

Good morning Charles,

We are currently out of stock but you may

find these at Urbanski Film & Video.

www.urbanskifilm.com

----

I admit that I have not seen that particular item on Larry Urbanski's site, but you never know what he may have tucked away.