15EPSS motor of Konvas cameras

Olex Kalynychenko

I wish give technical information about popular motor of Konvas-1M, Konvas-2M cameras - 15EPSS.

The many users of Konvas cameras with 15EPSS motor send me many questions and i wish give base information.

The user manual wrote:

The electrical motor of 15 EPSS use with Konvas-1M (1KSR-1M ) , Konvas-2M ( 1 KSR-2M ) cameras.

The original battery - 5 cells of SCS-15 ( russian silver-zinc cells) 15ah and nominal output 7.2-8.5V.

15EPSS motor have speeds : 8 fps ( 480 rpm ), 16 fps ( 960 rpm), 24 fps ( 1440 rp, ) 32 fps ( 1920 rpm).

The deviation of speed on 24 fps ( 1440 rpm ) +/- 2.5%

The deviation of speed on 8, 16, 32 fps +/- 4.0%

The nominal turning moment 600 (gram/m) at 8, 16, 24 fps and 700 gram/m at 32 fps.

The motor can give you maximum turning moment 1000 gram/m at 24 fps and 1200 gram/m at 32 fps on forced mode with time of work 1 minute and time of waiting 5 minutes.

The value of noise 48 Db

The worker temperature air - 30C ..+40C

Size of power unit 200 x 95 x 220 mm, weight power unit and motor module 6.2 kg.

Description.

15EPSS motor included power unit with battery and motor module.

The motor modules included two power DC motors 27V 9000 rpm on one axis, feed back and reducer 3:1

the power DC motors connect in series.

The power unit included electronic voltage trasnformer from 8.5 v battery on 45 v output with power 65..75W and module of speed conrol.

The speed control modyle have type of " analog system of speed stabilization.

The many users of 15EPSS motor ask, what kinds of battery can be use.

The original battery have 8.5 v output and 15 AH power. But, now, polular SLA batteries with 6 v and 12 v poutput.

I hear about a some 8.5 v batteries, but, this is low power batteries with 2.5ah and similar.

The users ask about use of 12 v batteries.

I wish underline, 12 v battery can burn down of electronics of motor.

This can be with connect of 12 v battery or after a some time of work.

And i repair of many power units after user connected of 12 v battery.

The matter is that, the base generator of power unit with 12 v battery have output 100 v.

And power transformer have output 78 v.

This is too high voltage for many transistors of power unit.

The transistors of power unit have maximum voltage 60v( output stage ) and 40 v ( other).

That's why, this is transitors can burn down.

The power unit have high power 60v, 10 A, germanium transistors with low loss at P-N-P structure.

About 6 v battery.

The power unit can work with 6 v battery, but, we have other situation.

The 6 v battery not enough for generate by voltage transformer output voltage for speed 24 and 32 fps.

24 fps can for with charged 6 v battery, but, the power spare can be low and speed can be non sync.

The output of voltage transformer have voltage 24 v only.

With 8.5 v battery, the voltage transformer have output 40..45v.

You can see, the 27 v DC motors, connected in series will have low speed at 24 v.

You will have good sync on 8, 16 fps, but, can lost sync at 24 fps and don't have sync at 32 fps.

The power unit of 15EPSS motor can be upgrade for work with 6 v battery.

The upgraded voltage transformer have output 39..42 v and this voltage enough for good sync on 24 and 32 fps with 6 v battery.

The modified power unit can work with 6 v 4ah, 6v 10ah and more high power battery.

The Speeds of power unit can be change and you can set of other speeds.

The power unit have block of variable resistors ( at battery module ) and you can adjust of every speed.

The power unit can have two versions with 5 or 6 variable resistors and can have outside switch for work with low or normal temperature of air.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...
  • Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Fred Ansaldo said:

How much is the modification, and can it be done by oneself instead of having to ship the unit to Ukraine ?
Cheers

I don't know much about the original control boxes but I know the 15epss "motor handle" unit very well for having made crystal conversions for it.

What type of modification you are interested in, running a "wild motor" using a 24v battery or converting the original control box for different battery voltage like the 6v Olex mentioned? 

it is pretty easy to get 8v batteries so that can be a good alternative if having the original control box so it is possible that no modifications would be needed at all.

-------

I have understood that Olex can convert the 15epss motors to crystal sync too, his modification being much more affordable than my design whereas my design has more framerate choices.

Every kind of Crystal Sync modification requires shipping the motor as extensive mechanical and electric modifications need to be made to the motor.

if changing only the operating voltage of the motor to run it "wild" without the original control box using a 24v battery, that is possible to be user made.

in most cases the motors can use basic CLA which is a good reason to send the motor for a techician for the modification to have the cla done at the same time even if the modification itself would be relatively simple like changing the operating voltage.

personally I would not make user modifications to boost converters like that in the original 15epss control box. they can be very dangerous if wrongly tuned, it is exactly the same than messing up with mains output power inverters and such but much easier to screw up, get lots of overvoltage from it and getting an electric shock and burning down stuff in the process. they are seriously dangerous pieces of equipment if you don't know exactly what you do and know the model in question inside out

• 1 year later...
On 2/19/2022 at 6:37 PM, aapo lettinen said:

it is pretty easy to get 8v batteries so that can be a good alternative if having the original control box so it is possible that no modifications would be needed at all.

---

what kind of 8v battery would be good? just got an 15epss with the controller box and trying to figure out how to get it to use. 
been searching a bit for a battery, but not yet found anything that fits the box easily. not in a hurry though, as I also got a 17ep-16apk in the same order which seems to work fine. ?

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Pilvari Pirtola said:

what kind of 8v battery would be good? just got an 15epss with the controller box and trying to figure out how to get it to use. 
been searching a bit for a battery, but not yet found anything that fits the box easily. not in a hurry though, as I also got a 17ep-16apk in the same order which seems to work fine. ?

there is couple of 8v gel or agm battery models available which should work electrically pretty well. don't know about the box though how well they would fit. one possibility would be to use a 12v battery with a adjustable step down converter to get to 8v level, that would require pretty large converter though... I think something like a 20A model or such could work