Alejando Jodorowsky

DavidSloan

Is anyone here familiar with this director's work? I think he's a genius director. Unfortunately his work is scarcely even available on VHS, let alone a good quality DVD. Any other Jodorowsky fans, out there?

Holy Mountain is one of the best films ever made, period-IMHO, of course.

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been listening to crickets chirping for much too long, unfortunately.

David, Jodorowsky is a genuine article in the world of cinema. A genius, yes, I'll agree with that.

I have seen El Topo and Santa Sangre, I own Fando y Lis on dvd (his first), and I would be on Survivor in order to see The Holy Mountain. His later day one with Peter O' Toole is...ok. Can't remember the name of it.

El Topo was tough the first time around, but astonishing on the second.

We were robbed when he was never able to direct Dune, with Salvador Dali as the Emperor. Robbed.

In any case, I have certain filmmakers close to my heart and mind that make too much of the rest of cinema look thin blooded and wasteful, and Jodorowsky is one of them.

Stay strong! You aren't altogether alone in this world. :-]

Shawn

Hi,

I love to see someone with good taste in this forum.

Jodorowsky is famous first as a comic script writer.

Hi wrote many comic books drawn by genius Moebius.(El incal)

He also became part of PANICO (panic) a literature group formed by himself, roland topor(writer of the book from wich polanski did "Le locataire") and fernando arrabal(spanish genius writer "Fando y lis" among others)

The three of them had a very subrealistic agressive style

Jodorowsky also has an online psychomagical help called robo para sanar (stealing for healing) he says he and his son are the only persons in this world with psychomagical healing power.

With this guy sometimes sarcasm is dificult to diferenciate from madness.

one of the most wise persons in the world

homepage:

http://www.clubcultura.com/clubliteratura/...res/jodorowsky/

(sorry only spanish)

• 2 years later...

I've seen El Topo and somewhat enjoyed it it was a long time ago and it was a third date film - sheesh ...

Would be interesting to see it again

Jodorowsky was going to make the feature of Dune - http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowsky.asp - but David Lynch got it in the end

Although to most of my friends indifference or ridicule I absolutely love Lynch's Dune considering even the gross re-writing of the story - But a Jodorowsky version could be potentially AMAZING, for me at least...

• Premium Member

... I think his films are fascinating. His themes are interesting and he communicates them in imaginative ways, although I think he crosses some ethical boundaries that make his method problematic. I remember reading that he slaughtered more than 1000 rabbits for a scene in "El Topo". While they were shooting the film the rabbits all became bloated in the hot Mexico sun. I also read an interview where he talks about a rape scene. " I said roll the cameras and then I really raped her".

source:

http://www.subcin.com/bookfilm00.html

where should ethical lines be drawn? This seems like an appropriate question for a Jodorowsky discussion.

Steve

Edited by steve hyde

El Topo, The Holy Mountain and Fando & Lis are being released on dvd in the future. In the meantime you can check out Santa Sangre. I't available at least in region 2 by Anchor Bay.

Haven't seen The Last Movie by Dennis Hopper but I'm under impression that there are somekind of similarity to Jodorowsky's films. Not much but some. I read somewhere that when Hopper was editing Easy Rider Jodorowsky was consulting the editing at some point so maybe Hopper had some influence from Jodorowsky to his next film The Last Movie.