wrecking rental car on purpose

I rented a car for an 'escape' scene where the actress kicked the passenger window out. I had paid for the insurance and when I returned the car, no one even blinked. My mental state was so warped at the time, that it seemed like a rational option, (major sleep deprevation). I would never recommend this type of behavior, unless you know you won't get caught. Then I would recommend it completely.

Would this be covered under any insurance I bought? Or would this be a criminal act that would go on my driving record, like if I brought the car back all shot-up and burned..

Just wondering

Niki

I think the rental company would get the Police involved pretty quickly if you returned one of their cars all shot up.

I understand its a criminal offence to willfully damage some one else's property without their knowledge. It would probably also be a major violation of the rental contract and thus also of any insurance you purchase from the rental company.

A smashed window can be explained away... gunshot holes and burns...?

Would this be covered under any insurance I bought? Or would this be a criminal act that would go on my driving record, like if I brought the car back all shot-up and burned..

Just wondering

Niki

You should try it and then let us know what happens.

• Premium Member

Niki, weren't you the one who asked about shooting actors with real bullets (even if in jest), looping dialogue on the set instead of in post, and now wrecking a car for real so you can write it off with insurance?

I don't understand this desire to find a way to beat the system rather than learn how to use it. As I said in another post, you don't have to re-invent the wheel. You're not the first low-budget filmmaker to face these challenges, so you don't have to start from scratch to find ways to get your film made cheaply. Bullets, ADR, and practical FX are well documented so you'd probably do much better to do some research and learn how others have overcome these obstacles, rather than asking here about the risks invloved in sticking your neck (or someone elses' neck) out.

• Premium Member

Assuming you're serious (Boy, there's a stretch!).

Look around the local scrap yards for a late model burn out - they're usually not worth much. Get a cheap paint job, hang some used or cheap tires on it, put some windows in it - a local glass shop might have a windshield that's been pulled out due to stone dings. Now you have a new looking car you can destroy any way you want. I'll bet it could be done for less than paying an attorney to get you out of the trouble that trashing one of Hertz's cars on purpose could create if you got caught (or narc'd on).

If your planning on comiting insurance fraud (which would be what your suggesting) then its probably advisable not to post your plans on the internet. Though in general I would not advise insurance fraud as a means to filmmaking in general. I am sure it would wreck havoc on your E&O rates.

Assuming you're serious (Boy, there's a stretch!).

Look around the local scrap yards for a late model burn out - they're usually not worth much. Get a cheap paint job, hang some used or cheap tires on it, put some windows in it - a local glass shop might have a windshield that's been pulled out due to stone dings. Now you have a new looking car you can destroy any way you want. I'll bet it could be done for less than paying an attorney to get you out of the trouble that trashing one of Hertz's cars on purpose could create if you got caught (or narc'd on).

Thanks, Hal. I think I'll do that. Because the car is a crown victoria and those have been the same body type for some time. I'll just buy a non-working car to do the close-up F/X.

Niki, I've been reading your posts for a while now I really want to see what movie you are making with squibs and broken cars etc. You need to make this action epic, post the footage, and put your money where your mouth is. Didn't you also say the action film genre is dead? That was the only topic I agreed with.

Edited by Patrick McGowan

Just wondering

Now all the insurance company needs to do is Google "Niki Mundo" (if that is your real name), and they'll have their case.

Niki, the FIRST RULE of NO-BUDGET INDEPENDENT FILM MAKING is NO STUNTS, NO FX, NO PYRO. You put four people in a room, create a situation and let 'um argue for 90 minutes OR you get a half dozen or so teenagers and have some maniac kill them. Did you ever SEE "Clerks" or "Blair Witch"? Take a lesson from Corman, The Little Shop of Horrors was shot in 3 DAYS on existing sets! You are NOT going to make Die Hard with 40K and a Konvas 1m on a 3 to 1 shooting ratio so stop wasting what little resources you DO have and use that creativity you've displayed in your "imaginative" solutions to your problems by write a script you have a snowball's chance in Hell of completing. I know what you're gonna say, "Rodriguez shot El Mariachi on 7 grand!!!! If he can do it then IIIIII can do it so screw you!!!!" Well no you can't, he shot on 16mm and in Mexico! He also got VERY lucky and there was a poop-load of post work done before the film was released. He generally used the first take and did coverage by changing angles when an actor frubbed a line rather than shooting the whole scene over again. Smart moves but hard to pull off. Think about the reality of what you're trying to do here.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member
I know what you're gonna say, "Rodriguez shot El Mariachi on 7 grand!!!! If he can do it then IIIIII can do it so screw you!!!!" Well no you can't, he shot on 16mm and in Mexico! He also got VERY lucky and there was a poop-load of post work done before the film was released. He generally used the first take and did coverage by changing angles when an actor frubbed a line rather than shooting the whole scene over again. Smart moves but hard to pull off.

...and it's still a crappy movie. My opinion, of course. ;)

• Premium Member

Just wondering

Niki

Sounds like a great idea... and when the desk clerk gives you a "funny" look, you can try out your "real bullets" idea on him.