How to get Certified?

Daniel Wallens

Hi All,

I live and work in NYC, and I was wondering if any of you fellow City-dwellers know how or where or what was involved in getting certified to operate a condor. Of course, I know this is not necessary to be a grip, at least not in NY, but still, I was curious about the process. Is it time consuming? Expensive? Difficult? Annoying? I searched JLG's website, and spent a good amount of time trying to google the answer, but I couldn't come up with anything. A website about it would be a great help!

Thank in advance,

:)

Contact your local rental facility for condors. It should be free but may run upwards of $75. NES will come out to your film and do it for free if you get a handfull of people.

In reality it is the individual produciton's responsiblity to train you for the specific job and task. it is not the case in practice.

get a group together to get trained and you may find it easier to get the rental house to take notice.

it is not hard by any means, more just time.

Hey Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I in fact feel quite comfortable with condors usually. However, it can be frustrating sometimes when I dayplay on a show, getting hired either by the best boy or 3rd, where the key doesn't really know me. As a result, I feel sometimes my abilities go unnoticed, whereas if I can simply say "I'm areal lift certified" the key, or really, whoever doesn't know me, would feel comfortable in allowing me to do certain tasks. So, I figure, if its cheap enough, why not make it official :)

Cheers,

Dan

Is there an actual certification process? Something that involves a test? Do requirement vary, state by state? I know that OSHA certifies lift truck operators, but you don't have to be certified to operate one. Same for a scissor lift. Why not try New York State OSHA.

you do have to be cerftified to drive a lift truck, just like a condor. the governing body though is OSHA and the employer. OSHA shows up when someone gets hurt or dies, until then it is a free for all. The employer is responsible for making sure all pertinent employees are trained in operating a given piece of equipment. The certification you get from NES or another rental company is essentially only proof that you took a class and a test regarding the condor. I went to NES and got all the certifications they offered. I have lift trucks in all sizes, condors, and scissor lifts. I also took the Contract services safety passport classes for my Local 80 card.

There is a cheesy test. I tell everybody who gets in a condor, these things are made so you look at the picture and gently do what the picture says. they are made for people who didnt graduate high school to be safe in.

NYOSHA is just a carbon copy of Fed OSHA rules regarding condors. there is no local or regional liscence for condors in the USA in my knowledge.

I look at training this way: The more I know the more value I am to a team.

When you get hired on a new job as a dayplayer let your immediate supervisor know of any special skills you might have if it comes into play. In memphis if you are a grip you better be certified. We make sure everyone has the ability to handle a condor. If I were to tell my immediate supervisor all my skills he would get bored and walk away mid speech. but If you are rigging a set and there is a condor let your supervisor know. I got on first unit many times because I was rigging and let my supervisor know I knew how to operate a lift. I expect a grip to be certified to drive lifts and condors. It is a skill all grips should have.

The key here is safety. know your limits and the limits of the equipment. take time to read that manual in the condor, it is surprising what is not acceptable.

Be safe, and thoughtful about what you are doing. take the time to hone a skill. be humble about your skills. no one likes a hero. heros get hurt and hurt others.