Vision 3 in super 8

Rick Palidwor

I went to a Kodak product launch tonight for Vision 3 500T. Two tests, one shot on super 16 and the other shot on super 35 were shown (on standard 35mm prints). Impressive stock. More shadow detail without increased grain and two more stops latitude in the highlights.

Anyway, the Kodak rep said 16 and 35 are coming out now, 65 and super 8 on the way!!! I didn't stick around for the Q&A to ask about a release date for super 8 but from what she said it is definitely in the cards.

We should lobby so they don't renege.

Rick

• Premium Member
I went to a Kodak product launch tonight for Vision 3 500T. Anyway, the Kodak rep said 16 and 35 are coming out now, 65 and super 8 on the way!!!

YEEAAESSS! Excellent news, Rick, thanks for posting this! This might mean that the 7217 will no longer be the first choice without thinking, but that lesser grain makes the ISO 500 stock interesting to use. 7217 plus new 7219, and Plus-X and Tri-X... what a great quartett! If someone would allow 7201 to join in, a complete quintett would allow Bach-like sophisticated "chamber music" (to use the analogy) to be filmed on Super 8.

Any further comments on Vision3, or, if that was just a plain boring part ( ;) ), about the state of canapés, finger food and sparkling wine served at the event?

Now, where did I put that Super Panavision 65 in my storage...?!?! (a joke!, a joke!)

I didn't stay for the treats. Too many deadlines. (If I stayed I would have asked more about the super 8).

They had samples of the stock pushed up to two stops, and the grain was still very acceptable. I can forsee shooting in low-light AND with a decent f-stop.

Rick

I spoke with a Kodak rep on the phone the other day and he stated that 7219 in Super 8 was in the works, but they were getting the S16 and S35 out first, then Super 8. We can probably look for a late winter or sooner release. I know I will be one of the first in line for it.

• Premium Member

Here in Europe, Andec in Berlin and Todd-AO in London will probably have to work about optimising proccessing processes to get the optimum out. If 16 and 35 go first, that will lead to optimised results already around when Super 8 is eventually launched.

It's great to have Kodak reps actually talk very inclusive about S8 as a format. So much for the fear that it isn't taken serious at Rochester. John Pytlack was always adamant that this wasn't the case, and I think he proved all the doomsday "yellow-giant-hates-Super-8" sceptics wrong in the end.

• Premium Member

My Kodak rep said 400' reels of Vision3 500T 16mm are available now, 100' reels should be ready mid-next week. She also confirmed Super 8 is coming but no timeline as yet. She said she's getting alot of requests for it in Super 8 and has already passed that on to the powers that be.