Why We Fight

Big deal? Omaha was the most heavily defended section of Normandy. Juno was the lightest which is why the Canadians were able to advance as far as they did. Omaha also was the most difficult to assault because of it's terrain. It was a bloody, hard-fought and costly victory but hardly a military disaster, it was the action that broke the back of the Nazis and the beginning of the end for them.

Oh and i :D t wasn't a joke, just a reminder that this is a friendly discussion. B)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No sorry wrong again:

"After Omaha Beach, Juno was the most heavily defended of the five landing sites chosen."

"The seawall was twice the height of Omaha Beach's, and the sea was heavily mined."

Read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_beach

Any thing else?

Yes friendly, I am just pointing out to you in a friendly way that you are wrong that is all :D :D :D

R,

Yes, Phil you raise an interesting point. Many bloggers are pointing out that not having the WGA is no great loss, considering the decline of TV ratings BEFORE the strike.

Could NBC be any worse off? Could a new series run less than one episode?

R,

• Premium Member

I find it funny that when the Golden Globe nominations were announced, HBO and Showtime received 24 nominations and ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC received 20 nominations combined. Hell BBC America received the same amount as CBS and FOX combined.

The offerings of Broadcast television in the US has really slid. The only shows I am missing due to production stoppage from the WGA strike are "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report". I am also bummed that "Big Love" will be delayed.

The WGA deserves compensation for revenues generated from their work. I also feel the same goes for everyone involved in the production of the revenue stream.

The "out of work 48% of the time" mentioned in the Youtube video applies to all the people that work in the industry to some extent. Very few have a residual cushion to live off of.

If the writers didn't have people to bring their work to life, they would only have a script.

BTW- Richard Boddington, as a Las Vegan I am very happy about the return of Celine Dion to Canada after her show tonight. I know she is French Canadian, and not one of your people but she was the worst thing ever imported from Canada to the US.

Also please thank the folks at Showcase for "Kenny vs. Spenny". It is the best thing ever imported from Canada to the US. And thanks for the oil, gas and lumber. LOL

• Premium Member
At the risk of dragging this thread back on topic...

Is it me, or are the striking writers the very same wrote

?

If so, stuff 'em. I can do better myself, and regularly have.

Phil

Do you think Roger Daltry got paid for every YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! on that great CSI compilation? Oh YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Pete Towsnhend wrote the lyrics.

Yes I agree with you Celine Dion, sorry we sent her to you, it's almost an act of war! If you think she's scary you should see her creepy 150 year old husband.

As for:

"Also please thank the folks at Showcase for "Kenny vs. Spenny". It is the best thing ever imported from Canada to the US. And thanks for the oil, gas and lumber. LOL"

I've never seen Kenny vs Spenny just the promos. And the natural resources....I don't think we have much choice we have to sell them to you, other wise....you'll just take them.

R,

• Premium Member
Yes I agree with you Celine Dion, sorry we sent her to you, it's almost an act of war! If you think she's scary you should see her creepy 150 year old husband.

As for:

"Also please thank the folks at Showcase for "Kenny vs. Spenny". It is the best thing ever imported from Canada to the US. And thanks for the oil, gas and lumber. LOL"

I've never seen Kenny vs Spenny just the promos. And the natural resources....I don't think we have much choice we have to sell them to you, other wise....you'll just take them.

R,

Las Vegas is familiar with the exploits of Rene Angelil. What was the going rate for a singing 12 year old girl in a Charlemagne, Quebec trailer park 27 years ago?

No sorry wrong again:

"After Omaha Beach, Juno was the most heavily defended of the five landing sites chosen."

"The seawall was twice the height of Omaha Beach's, and the sea was heavily mined."

Read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_beach

Any thing else?

Yes friendly, I am just pointing out to you in a friendly way that you are wrong that is all :D :D :D

R,

Am I? You said it yourself, "after Omaha" , but the differences between the two were immense Juno was tough but Juno was a walk in the park compared to Omaha. The only thing I was wrong about was it being the least defended of the 5, I was working from memory so you will have to excuse that. As terrain, the seawall was never the problem, I would recommend you read This:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Beach

Operation Overlord was realized at Omaha.

Am I? You said it yourself, "after Omaha" , but the differences between the two were immense Juno was tough but Juno was a walk in the park compared to Omaha. The only thing I was wrong about was it being the least defended of the 5, I was working from memory so you will have to excuse that. As terrain, the seawall was never the problem, I would recommend you read This:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_Beach

Operation Overlord was realized at Omaha.

One step ahead of you, I already read all of that. First rule of combat, know thine enemy ;)

I see, if Operation Overlord was realized at Omaha beach then I guess Eisenhower was an idiot for sending in the Canadians & the British, as they apparently where not needed.

I hear that on the British and Canadian beaches the Germans came out with tea and crumpets then threw down their weapons.

You're getting back to the "We Americans won the war" position, celebrated in American history books and popular movies. Whilst at the same time laughed at by the rest of the globe.

Then again that's nothing new, you did manage to re-elect Bush. :blink:

R,

No, the other forces were of course needed, it's just that had Omaha not been taken, the counter attack by German forces may well have pushed the Brits and Canadians back into the sea. Intelligence for Omaha was the best that could be gathered under the circumstances and even involved clandestine commando recon forays onto the beach prior to the invasion. We knew the enemy but war is fluid and the German troop strength was at best an educated guess. The invasion had been delayed because of bad weather so aerial surveillance was somewhat compromised. But let's just say we all won WWII....that is our great-grand parents did. However there are a few thing I have to call you on. I know you're lying abut the Tea and crumpets. The Germans would have NEVER served Tea and crumpets.....strudel and Lowenbrau maybe but never tea and crumpets, Oh and I never laugh at the rest of the globe.....except for, you know...the French. Touche' the Bush thing though, I have no excuse other than maybe Americans eat too much beef and mad cow disease hit us all at once. Whadya think of the new line up for '08? My only fear is that one of these clowns will actually BECOME the new president. I think we outta do a write in vote for Bob Barker, seems like a game show host is what my fellow Americans are looking for in a president lately. :rolleyes:

"Whadya think of the new line up for '08?"

Good news, you can't possibly go down hill. Elect a garden hose as president and you'll be better off.

R,

• Premium Member
"Whadya think of the new line up for '08?"

Good news, you can't possibly go down hill. Elect a garden hose as president and you'll be better off.

R,

Hello Richard,

Please don't call Senator Clinton by her pet name, Only Bill can call her that.

My prediction is here will be the choices for '08 Presidential elections:

Eh? What are you talking about?

If you don't have a comment about....Canada, Celine Dion, and WWII, then you're in the wrong place :D

R,

Hello Richard,

Please don't call Senator Clinton by her pet name, Only Bill can call her that.

My prediction is here will be the choices for '08 Presidential elections:

I'm not positive but I thing the actual spelling on that particular one isn't "g-a-r-d-e-n H-o-s-e" (good one BTW Richie!) It's actually spelled "G-a-r-d-e-n v-a-r-i-e-t-y h-o-e" :rolleyes:

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member
Americans were the ones who gained air superiority, ....

America did not win the war on her own but we did create a second, devastating front that combine with the Russians pushed the Nazis back into Germany and destroyed them.

Iraq was ....

It's nowhere near that simple.

America definitely did build more airplanes than anybody else. Boeing set up in Kansas, to be away from the potentially vulnerable coasts, Ford built Willow Run. But it was the RAF, radar, and two days of rain late in August of 1940 that saved Britian from the luftwaffe. Germany built too many different models of aircraft, and not enough of any one model. Udet's silly directive that all bombers should have dive bombing capability hurt them severely.

The Eastern front was by far the biggest part of the war. I don't have the exact numbers handy, but it was something like a peak of 60 German divisions in the West vs. 220 or so in the East. The numbers I do remember are that for every thousand people in the pre-war population, three Americans died, six British, and 140 Russians.

Iraq still is. It's not over.

-- J.S.