Why We Fight

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Srsly I <3 u guyz 4 making winter not suk lol. UNION 4EVER.

Ok I think we killed the thread. And yes, I started it. :D In a genuine attempt to steer it back on topic, what's the latest with the WGA? Anyone have any news? I am too lazy to go to the websites. I would rather have somebody else sum it up for me so that I don't have to open a new browser window.

this thread needs to be deleted and its contributers reduced to new member status... :ph34r:

excluding me... :lol:

I tried to read the latest and greatest? in Variety but there were too many acronyms and I decided to read a book instead. And I'm happier because of it.

Edited by Matt Workman

• Premium Member
this thread needs to be deleted and its contributers reduced to new member status... :ph34r:

excluding me... :lol:

I tried to read the latest and greatest? in Variety but there were too many acronyms and I decided to read a book instead. And I'm happier because of it.

Books? What are books?

I'm just now getting back into recreational reading after school kind of killed that for me for a few years.

BTW, Matt: shame you can't come light that trailer with Neal and Me but it's good you've got a music video to do! Seems like you're tearing up those videos.

• Premium Member

Gavin Polone was on CNN today and he joked that he was going to try to raise money from places like the UAE and go play black jack to make a living. He was joking, but I've been playing poker all day grinding out some cash! I sure hope this is over soon.

• Premium Member

As far as the strike goes.....both sides deadlocked with no negotiations scheduled between AMPTP and WGA.

DGA starts negotiations with AMPTP after the first of the year.

No more scripted television being produced in L.A. as of this week.

At L.A. City Council meeting yesterday (Wed.) a resolution was passed asking both sides to get back to the bargaining table, resolution has no teeth. Financial impact of strike discussed. "LA County economy could take a $380 million hit if the writers' strike continues as long as the 1988 labor action, which last 22 weeks. But that figure is 1/10 of 1% of the LA economy, so the overall impact was said to be "very modest"." (quoted from http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/)

Interesting and articulate posts without all the histrionics at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/writers-strike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

On the WGA Strike, for what it is worth:

There is a website, http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/, that is mostly infotainment and scandal-sheet type headlines, and it is supported by ad revenue so I read and believe what I read at my own peril. But sometimes there are interesting, thoughtful and intelligent comments to the mostly self-aggrandizing posts by one Ms. Nikki Finke that are found on the site. I include one such comment below, in it's entirety. (it is response to a post entitled "Strike-Wise, What Should Happen Next?" - a solicitation for "theories/predictions/suggestions" about the current strike by WGA members against the AMPTP.)

"HERE?S THE PROGRESSION.

Here is the sad but simple truth of the action in which we find ourselves.

This strike has always been a six month strike, no less. Even the studios have said so privately to many of their top producers, especially film producers. I?ve heard it directly from a number of high-level execs. The strike will end in March/April. No sooner, but also no later. Here?s why.

December obviously is gone. January they?re going to let the WGA stew to see if the guild breaks. There will be some kind of broad outreach in February, where the AMPTP will come back again ?to put the town back to work? but put forth essentially their original offer to see if they can pressure the WGA into taking it. That has always been their game plan. The studios were having high level meetings for over a year determining what they would offer, and what they would force the guild to accept. This is all part of the process of wearing down the WGA.

It is, however, in March/April that the strike will really begin in terms of effectiveness. That is the ONLY window where the WGA will have a chance to up the deal, because of what?s around the corner.

Understand: The AMPTP does NOT want to see the strike extend into May-June because not only would that put all three Guilds into negotiating at the same time THIS year, but it would also put them into that position three years from now when the contracts expire, something no one else has seemed to mention, but which the studios are very much aware of and wish to avoid as part of their long-term planning. They?re going to want at least a couple of months between the next WGA contract expiration and SAG/DGA.

So: March/April. This timeframe allows the AMPTP time to solicit multiple script orders from their favorite and trusted show runners and go right into production without a pilot, allowing them to salvage the fall 08 season. They?ll be short orders at first, just to hedge their bets, but enough to save the fall.

Anyone who got into this strike foreseeing anything less than a six month strike was living in a dream world.

Until then, the only thing everyone can do is batten down the hatches and hold tight until April. A hard truth but it?s honest.

Comment by A Joint Member of WGA/DGA ? December 28, 2007 @ 12:09 am"

Most post comments anonymously, like the poster above.

I am in no way affiliated with www.deadlinehollywood.com and the comment above does not necessarily represent my own thoughts on this matter, I post this here simply as food for thought.

No kidding. I keep saying to myself, "What's your problem, it's not like winter is that great in New York anyway!" but I'm really at a crossroads here as far as what to do next. The idea of going to LA before summer just seems like a crapshoot. Sometimes it bothers me that as a freelancer, it seems like the timescale for everything is so much shorter. To someone working in an office, another 3 months of this might seem like nothing, but to someone who could potentially be working 10 different jobs in a month or two, it feels like forever.

What is everyone else doing? I'd be especially curious to hear about how people in LA are faring. Have any of you decided to get "real" jobs for the time being, just to make ends meet? If I were a veteran of this industry, I think I'd have a better perspective here, but I'm not, and it's hard to get a sense of how to deal with the next few months. :shrug:

• Premium Member

As a freelance crew-member (or writer, director and even producer) in this business one has to be prepared for periods of under-employment. As one who works primarily in episodic tv, I know that employment can be cyclical (pilots in spring, series in late summer) so I have become accustomed to squirriling away finances as a hedge against such times. I knew that a work stoppage due to a strike by the WGA was a real possibility, if not inevitable, so while I was employed during the past year I took that into account in terms of savings and expenditures. However, I am not just sitting on my hands waiting for the strike to blow over, I am in contact with people I know who are producers of documentaries and reality shows to let them know of my interest in working with them on their projects. I don't know that there is much of a difference in how the West or East Coasts have been affected by the strike, I believe its bad no matter where one lives. Granted, weather and living expenses do differ greatly and the East Coast has higher living expenses in many areas, (NYC) and the weather sucks at this time of year making it much more difficult to sit outside at Starbucks having a cup of coffee and enjoying a book. But if I had to take some kind of job at said Starbucks or drive a cab or take short term employment in a retail establishment to support myself and my family I would not hesitate to do so. Hang in there everyone and let the New Year bring health, happiness, resolution and prosperity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
The idea of going to LA before summer just seems like a crapshoot. ..... To someone working in an office, another 3 months of this might seem like nothing, ....

As for your move to LA, I'd say be ready to jump as soon as the strike is over. But to incur that extra expense before that would be a major mistake. You still have some income back in NY, out here it's a total ghost town. If you move in the summer and the strike runs on to September - December or beyond, you'd be in worse shape than staying put. It's not a crapshoot, it's a sure fire loss.

Working in an office for the last 22 years, what I've done to prepare for this is save up 8 weeks of vacation time, which we can use as of the time we get laid off. If the layoff which we all expect soon runs beyond that, I'm in real deep s--t. With $4k/month in mortgage and property tax alone, and all my prior savings blown on litigation, even the max from unemployment doesn't come close. BK time....

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
On my 27th birthday? Oh no! What if this is all some sort of strange conspiracy?

Then the Congress of the United States would have to be in on it -- that's the date they've set for the cutoff of analog NTSC television. ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Then the Congress of the United States would have to be in on it -- that's the date they've set for the cutoff of analog NTSC television. ;-)

-- J.S.

Yeah, but they've set a cutoff date many times in the past. What makes you think they'll actually adhere to it this time?