Overexposing Ektachrome 64t

Alessandro Malfatti

I'll probably get lynched for this topic but here.it goes: I recentlu decided to start filming in S8, nothing spectacular, just the occasional (old-fashioned) home movie, and so was curious about the results of exposing our beloved E64t as if it were ASA 40. I am actually getting a camera with manual exposure (a Nizo), but if I wanted to shoot something spontaneously, say my cat, could I just use the automatic exposur and get a decent picture? Consider that I only intend to project my films, no telecine or anything...

I'll probably get lynched for this topic but here.it goes: I recentlu decided to start filming in S8, nothing spectacular, just the occasional (old-fashioned) home movie, and so was curious about the results of exposing our beloved E64t as if it were ASA 40. I am actually getting a camera with manual exposure (a Nizo), but if I wanted to shoot something spontaneously, say my cat, could I just use the automatic exposur and get a decent picture? Consider that I only intend to project my films, no telecine or anything...

I shoot with a Yashica $10 super8 on auto exposure all the time and get decent footage. It's not going to win any awards and I'm not going to boast about it, but it's a visible picture and nobody ever comments on it being over or underexposed, so it does well enough. Mine shifts exposure automatically though, so pans and things tend to have a flicker to them, but for what I'm using my camera for (down and dirty documentary footage), I kind of like that.

Two-thirds of a stop is quite a bit of over-exposure for reversal. I'd want to be closer. It depends how accurate the metering is; if your test looks OK, not washed out, then go with it. But since you do want to project, I think you'll want it accurate, even erring on the side of underexposure.

• 3 weeks later...

(Rediscovering old topics...)

Interestingly enough I remember accidentally exposing a couple of shots of Ektachrome 100D as ASA 50, with the Krasnogorsk-3 internal lightmeter and the results were kinda "sunny" (I shot on a sunny day), but not bad at all, could I expect the same with E64t exposed as 40t or is this stock more sensitive somehow?

(Rediscovering old topics...)

Interestingly enough I remember accidentally exposing a couple of shots of Ektachrome 100D as ASA 50, with the Krasnogorsk-3 internal lightmeter and the results were kinda "sunny" (I shot on a sunny day), but not bad at all, could I expect the same with E64t exposed as 40t or is this stock more sensitive somehow?

It will probably look the same, but you run the almost definite risk of blowing out highlights. If that is acceptable, then rock on. However, you want to use an 85 filter outdoors, which effectively make the film a 40ASA. But with all this talk of underexposure being best for reversal, I would still rate the film at 64 with the 85 filter. Good luck and happy new year.