The Man Amongst Trees - Please Critique It :)

I'm not a gifted professional, but that was excellent.

I loved the high shutter throughout, you gave a ton of energy and created a lot of anticipation around the man in black. You have great control over POV and kept me hooked throughout the entire thing. I'd love to hear about the production.

Congrats!

Edited by Doug Zajaczkowski

HEY THERE,

VISUALLY YOUR FILM WAS BEAUTIFUL. HOWEVER, THE STORY LEFT MUCH TO DESIRE. I WISH THAT YOU NOT HAD INCORPORATED THE SNEAKERS, THEY DATE THE FILM WHICH IS SOMETHING YOU NEVER WANT TO DO; UNLESS OF COURSE IT'S A PERIOD PIECE. THE STORY NEVER REALLY CLARIFIED WHY THE COUPLE WAS HIKING AND THE MAN IN BLACK SEEMED A BIT CARTOONISH WITH THE TEARDROP NAILS AND THE BIG DARK CIRCLES. THE LOCATION YOU CHOSE WAS BEAUTIFUL, PROPS FOR THAT ONE. I DID LIKE THE USE OF THE SUBTLE COLOR ALTHOUGH IT CAN COME OFF AS A LITTLE CLICHE, BUT STILL VERY WELL EXECUTED. VERY NICE TOUCH WITH THE SCRIPT FONT.

"THE STORY NEVER REALLY CLARIFIED WHY THE COUPLE WAS HIKING AND THE MAN IN BLACK SEEMED A BIT CARTOONISH WITH THE TEARDROP NAILS AND THE BIG DARK CIRCLES"

The first thing that you must realise with the story is that the Black & White footage is a fantasy in thhe mind of

the taxi driver, the color flashes are fragmented memories and the people in the back of his taxi are incorporated

into this daydream and encounter the same events that have tormented the taxi driver.

The black suited man is abstract because he's just a doll in the real world. You can see the young boy holding it,

and him holding it again when he is older, the taxi driver at the end. In his fantasy the man takes the image of

the doll, the doll is him, and though the color flashes you should see his connection with the doll.