Hand-cranked 16mm Cameras

Stuart Brereton

• Premium Member
All bolexes - even the EBM (ok, not the EL ;))

Hehe, I knew you'd be me to that one, Mr. Resident Bolex Guru!

@Stuart, there are a number of really old ones as well IIRC. Do you need anything special? A specific lens mount?

Cheers, Dave

Nothing against Bolexes, except for handcranking- those tiny little cranks are a pain, and they fall out of the little crankshaft too easily!

Yip, especially in the 1:1 - annoying! ...but with it on 64fps on 1:1 you get some wild variance in speed/exposure if that is what you are after - 8:1 with the governor on 12fps and its quite smooth (hard work still)

A longer armed version with a mount to stop it falling out could be built I suppose - just like a tobin motor but with a crank

Ok.

thanks everyone. Our director is looking for a Tony Scott look, so i'm guessing a 1:1 drive shaft would be impossible. Which of the Bolexes would be more suited?

Any of them really - they all have 8:1 - best part is you could try to get a bolex J (old surveillance camera) - no motor, light weight and cheap - you can easily file the gate to super16 and recentre the lens mount, hardest part would be converting the deep thread c-mount to a standard mount by milling it flat, RX collimated wide lenses should be ok stopped down - *no reflex or even (easy) parallax viewing though*

either that or a beater RX2/RX1 etc... parallax models are fine to if you dont need the prism.

IIRC I think Top Gun was totally hand-cranked on an RX2 :lol: