Mistakes to avoid on the first feature?

Morgan Peline

While still in film school, I was shooting a young woman's thesis project. One of the scenes was shot with the camera quite close to one of the actor's faces, and, somehow, she got so caught up in it that she slammed into it and broke her nose. I couldn't stop laughing.

Never laugh...unless the director laughs first.

Poor woman! I feel very sorry for the actress but I couldn't help chuckling a little myself!

I was DPing a student short once, and we were short staffed, so I decided to move a 2.5K HMI myself as the gaffer and sparks were busy...unfortunately, due to my clumsiness, the light toppled (in full slow motion to my mind) from 15 feet up straight onto the neighbour's car. I was mortified! Then, when the lady owner stepped into the car and drove off a few seconds later, I was still too much in shock to inform her that I had just trashed the whole left wing of her car, which she hadn't noticed anyway. I went straight to the AD and asked if he could 'sort it out' as I was 'umm...very busy'. It turned out that the lady's husband had seen (and taped) it all 'real-time' on his home CCTV system, and had also not had the time to inform his wife when she stepped out of the house.

Safety, honesty and 'delegation' are always useful I'd say....how embarrassing!