What are these lights?

I PA'd on a short indy film in Philly a few years back. They use my car for the movie. When we wrapped at about 5am, I realized that a few lights were left in my car. Now I am going to use these wonderful little things for a film I am shooting. They are a little over a foot long. I have already tested with them, so I have seen their output and know that they are daylight balanced.

Does anyone know the name, exact color temp., and/or other relevant info?

Thanks!

post-29661-1203565709.jpg

post-29661-1203565772.jpg

Edited by David Rosenblum

They just look like cheap local hardware store fluorescent fixture you can stick anywhere. Are they battery powered? Or do they need 120 volts?

Concerning you'll need a color temp meter to get and exact reading or you'll have to read any info provided on the bulb itself. There is no way to tell what these are from your photos.

Best

Tim

• Premium Member
I PA'd on a short indy film in Philly a few years back. They use my car for the movie. When we wrapped at about 5am, I realized that a few lights were left in my car. Now I am going to use these wonderful little things for a film I am shooting.

...might as well... I mean... Who would even think to call whoever just happened to "leave" those lights in your car?

...might as well... I mean... Who would even think to call whoever just happened to "leave" those lights in your car?

I'm sorry. I am not a fan of overwriting in posts, yet I tend to often. I failed to mention that they are battery powered 8 double A's, and that (of course) I called the Director of the film when I realized they were left behind. He said to keep them. So I did!

I'm sorry. I am not a fan of overwriting in posts, yet I tend to often. I failed to mention that they are battery powered 8 double A's, and that (of course) I called the Director of the film when I realized they were left behind. He said to keep them. So I did!

you can find those at homedepot for about $10.00 and I used them for a movie I shot a while ago for accent. they look blue and slightly purplish which i think is pretty nice for the scene (morgue/medical lab scene). i do not know if they flick shooting with different frame rate. good luck and have fun with them.

I've used these for the interior of a car on a shoot once. I still have a few and use them when needed, also used them on a music video for the interior of a limousine. They are fine as long as you have some minus green over them. I just cut some pieces up, removed the cover of the light and kept them in there. They work pretty good if you've got a few.

-Benjamin

• Premium Member

Hi David,

might be a good idea to get better quality tubes for these. I have several small fluos that I found in my grandpa's workshop after he died a couple of years ago. I swapped the tubes, I bought Osram 840 and 865 for these and they work like a charm. Might be better to get some kind of 9xx series tubes, but I am not sure whether these are available at all in those short lengths.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

I used those for a short film I shot a few years ago. One particular shot was lit exclusively with one. It was a night int. and a guy goes to the freezer during the night. I used the light inside the freezer and it looked great. They're very blue, so prepare to correct them if you want them any warmer.

• 2 weeks later...