Test footage on modified super16 NPR

James Mehr

I posted some test footage I shot on my modified NPR on Vimeo:

http://www.vimeo.com/735941

The test was just to see if the camera was in working order and the mounts were done properly. The CA mount was left centered to 16mm while the Bayo mount was re-centered the super16. I was curious to see the new Vision3 stock, so I shot with a daylight spool of Vision3 500T. Please excuse the focus.

It's a boring video, but now I'm certain the camera's functioning properly. They did a good job converting it. And even with the CA mount and Angenieux lens, it could cover the Super16 gate, which I find interesting. Basically, for the modification you're turning a square into a rectangle. (It's more complicated I know, but still....)

Any comments or questions would be appreciated. There's probably not much to say. Suffice to say, I will be doing more in-depth tests - this is just a basic one.

Were you precise in your framing of the focus chart? It's never centered and the arrows on the left and right sides aren't right at the edge of the frame. I don't know if it's possible or common, but perhaps the viewfinder alignment isn't 100% indicative of what's passing through the gate (dimensions wise).

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

Nice stuff, man.

My question would be: the window looked 1.85. Did they crop it in the transfer? Or is it my imagination?

And also who converted the camera? And if the groundglass has new marks for 1.85, or just 1.66?

Thanks

Duall Camera (www.duallcamera.com). I'm quite happy with the conversion. While it looks 1.85, it's 1.66. I transferred at Postworks and specified 1.85. The ground glass is marked 1.66, but has markings for both regular and super 16. While it's centered for regular 16, it's not hard to center for super.

In terms of focusing....yeah, my bad. The test was purely to see if the mounts were working. I just put on a tripod at the shop and shot the roll. It's really not so much of a test, rather than a check, I suppose.

I didn't realize you needed to post your name. I don't know if I can change my avatar or if I have to start a new one. If you go to the link, you'll find my name, which is James Mehr.

I can't remember which Cooke lens - it was a zoom. I remember he mentioned it used to 9.5- something, but it was modified to super16, so it is now 10-something. They were selling it for around $5000 if that helps.

As I mentioned before, DuAll Camera, in NYC, did my conversion. I went to Postworks in NYC to do the transfer. I guess you can kind of tell I live in New York :)

Honestly, Super16 is new to me. I've worked with 16mm and 35, but never Super16. I like film all the way, but I used to find Super16 a bit cheating : you really can't print dailies, and it's mostly used as an intermediate either in blowup or video. But Super16 is what I can afford, and I'll make the best of it. It's not exactly a poor choice - it's film. And after working on video for so long, it's nice to be back to using an organic medium.

Martin, I've seen your postings with your NPR. How is yours configured? What mounts do you have? Do you have any suggestions or tips about the camera? Is the ACL better or worse than the NPR?

you have to go to your control panel, you can change it anytime

Mine has a PL mount installed were the CA mount was

I have an Alcan motor, and only a few Canon lenses

I have been renting Cooke's Canon and Zeiss glass for my Pl mount, and I 'm saving money for either a Cooke 10.4-52 or the Canon 8-64mm

Sorry. I think you have a big problem here: in both S16 or R16 formats it's obvious than left and right sides aren't the same focus!! Probably the gate is not full parallel with the plane of the mount. It's very obvious for exemple in the close up of the meter: look the card in the background and the right side has much more focus than the left one!!