New music videos

• Premium Member

Just wanted to share a couple music videos I've worked on that have recently been posted. I was gaffer on both, Michael Rizzi was the DP.

Antoinette "Back And Forth" (Super 16):

post-366-1204786724.jpeg

http://www.michaelrizzi.com/site/antoinette.html

The Matches "What Katie Said" (HVX 200):

post-366-1204786736.jpeg

http://www.ladyransom.com/content/wks.mov

• Premium Member

They both look really good. I loved the Antoinette video. I had a question, if you don't mind; what stock were you using for the S16, and also what was that big back source in the hallway sequnce, the orangeish-yellowish light-glob?

• Premium Member

The stock was Fuji Eterna 400 I believe, and the whole transfer went through some pretty heavy color correction. That big backlight was just a 1200 HMI on a mombo-combo, and lots of smoke. I also had a couple Source 4's coming through the metal gate, and her key was a 2K BJ through diffusion. The HMI was uncorrected, just to show you how heavy the color correction was.

• Premium Member

Nice stuff. They're so different! I love the look of the Antoinette video, and that tight hallway backlit/sidelit scene looked fantastic.

The Matches Video was great. Very inventive yet simple. Not much to say about the look. It was simple and effective and supported the idea of the video perfectly.

It seems you and Rizzi make a great team.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Michael,

The antionette video only loaded about half way for me, but I definintely liked the way it looked. I do have to admit that content wise, I am so tired of the boy/girl music videos...I know that's an opinion and not in your control.... Nice work. Im going to check out the second one in a bit.

Antoinette "Back And Forth"

Great beauty look of the clip , lighting, nice skin tones! blown out highlights look good. Excellent!

Some Critique

Editing could've been better, lots of similar shots cut together, mid to mid,etc. Some diversity could help. Camera zoom throws me off a little. Better variety of shots, still some similarity in editing.

Crossing of the line, maybe, if you've had the guy looking at the girl from the other side of the fence.

Overall very good job!

On a second video,

Great concept! Good delivery!

Critique

Wide shot of a dancing TV girl become a little boring after a while. (wanted to switch to another music channel :) A guy with TV comes a little too late. Again, little variety, different focal length

would be great.

Please take my critique as an improvement suggestion and pure IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael,

Regarding the antionette video, first off nice work!! Secondly, I know you didnt DP it so maybe dont know, but there seems to be a certain slight glow/softness to the highlights that doesnt look like just over exposure or boosting in post, do you know if they added some kind of glow/defocus filter in post or did they use on lense diffusion/FX filters?

Do you know what lenses they used?

Cheers.

Edited by Tomas Koolhaas

Guest Timothy Wallace

It's funny that everybody seems to like the Antoinette video (and it IS good...), but I thought the Matches video was a very nice piece of work -- very creative and entertaining concept. I'm sure it was no walk in the park either, technically speaking.

Good stuff!

Tim :->

• Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

There may have been some lens diffusion on the "beauty" shots of Antoinette. I'd have to ask Rizzi. Otherwise, most of it was shot clean and highly affected in post.

"Crossing of the line, maybe, if you've had the guy looking at the girl from the other side of the fence."

How can you have a line to cross when you don't even have a story? :P I never even considered it could be taken as though the guy was looking at her through the fence. Interesting interpretation. Honesty, it was the thinnest of concepts with nothing more than visual "vignettes." After the director and DP picked the scenes and locations, the DP and I pretty much made it up on the spot for lighting, and they improvised coverage.

The matches video was easy to shoot, but tough on the dancer and the post people. Many many many takes to get all the timing right, and everyone put in 110%.