Help with rigging a 6K

Jason Davenport

Need to rig a 6K on a free standing set of grandstand. The pic shows location, and second circle is where I was going to be able to use a scissorlift, but now it's all fenced in. Needs to be out of reach, for the public and aimed just in front of stands. Don't have scaffolding either. Do have a 5 ton on the job and able ask them to load anything special on tomorrow before it goes out.

Thanks, J

2myrsyo.jpg

How heavy of a 6k are you using, are we talking an old full sized (double ended) arri fresnel or a newer SE par? Also how high is that blue box from the ground? If a Mombo combo would get it high enough you could put it on that, extend it as high as you can and then cable it off at the bottom and use a couple of chain vise grips to secure it to the grandstand. This may not be the best way but it may work out for you.

-Travis

close Travis, but you gave me an idea I didn't want to respond to before... (really, I didn't mention it earlier because it is NOT the safest way to go, and I do NOT recommend it, but I do know that DPs can sometimes be demanding).

If the grandstand has vertical polls where you want the light, leave a mambo skinnied up and put it on whichever step of the grandstand you want it. chain-vise the hell out of it to the handrails of the grandstand, and make sure to safety it. Then you can go up on the stick (I'd say DON'T use the top riser -- and use your judgment on how high it should go, depending on winds, etc.). Make sure to check the integrity of the handrail system where you put the light/stand beforehand.

Again, although I advise against this method, it is probably the easiest and cheapest way to get closest to what you need. If you can, do it right, and get a condor.

Edited by Daniel Wallens

Dont use a mombo combo for this it is too heavy for the stand. Try to rent a manlift work platform ( single man lift) 25-30ft. or material lift like used for ground supporting rocknroll truss. use guy wires to stabilize it outdoors. you can pre focus the light from the ground and the raise the platform from the ground.

Scaffold is your next best solution if a condor is out of the question. It looks like you might be able to get a condor on the concrete and arm over to the bleachers.

You could rent standard 6x6 scaffold and errect it in the fenced area. It probably would take three or four tiers, require outriggers and need to be tied into the grandstand frame for rigidity. But scaffold rental is cheap.

To robert and JD:

I was under the impression that vertical lifts (such as a manlift) and scaffolds were out of the question, since the OP said "now it's all fenced in." and that's why he couldn't use a scissorlift. Since Jason mentioned that he can't use anything that just goes straight up from the ground, the only thing that's left is something with a boom (with the base sitting on the paved roadway area) or placing something directly on the bleachers. Unless I'm missing something here, I thought the fenced-in area was off limits.

Jason, how restricted is the grassy, fenced-in area? Are you just not allowed to bring in vehicles? Or can you not step foot or set gear down in there at all?

Edited by Daniel Wallens

• Premium Member

Have the cyclone fence company open up the wire fabric to get inside the fence, then have them re-attach it when you're done. Now you can get a Genie tower lift, scissors lift, etc. inside and not have to improvise anything potentially dangerous like rigging a mombo off the grandstand supports. Don't try to open the fence yourself, cyclone fencing requires a special tool to pull the wire fabric tight.