Is there a special reason...

Jurgen Lossau

...why my threads in this forum are regularly deleted without any comment or explanation? I find this almust unbearable.

Jürgen Lossau

www.smallformat.de

Yesterday, i read of new topic about new magazine SmallFormat with

information of new article of russian 16 mm professional cine camera Kinor-16P and

I recommend of my customers to read of this article.

Kinor-16P rare cine camera and can be very interested for filmmakers from side of new style of design of 16 mm cine camera and from side of next generation of russian professiona cine cameras.

But, Today, I'm and my customers couldn´t find it.

Why ?

...why my threads in this forum are regularly deleted without any comment or explanation? I find this almust unbearable.

Jürgen Lossau

www.smallformat.de

Perhaps because they are seen as advertising.

When they contain more than just listings of what is in the mag I think they are a useful resource. But if it's just a plug for the mag perhaps the classifieds section would be more appropriate.

• Premium Member

Olex,

the Kinor article is - if I remember correctly - for a forthcoming issue of Smallformat. Jürgen is now already informing us in advance what will be published in two month's time so that we can get all excited.

I am sure that the Kinor article will help promote your business and repair services. You can point your customers to this website here to get info and even access content of the mag as PDF; of course you must be registered.

-----

Jacob,

I agree with your point. Many more commercial users are now around in this forum than earlier, and reining in posts that cross the fine line between straight-forward advertising of a business on the one hand and critically discussing a business or building a personal reputation through passionate contribution to this place that might help the business end of that user's work on the other hand, is increasingly important here.

But we had such discussions here already when Santo was still around in 2006 and pointed out posters who where more interested in stealthily promoting their miniDV cellar transfer shops for nostalgia customers than advancing Super 8 as a fully-fledged cine-film format.

Besides, viral marketing works so much better than simpletonish advertising...

I hope you are not suggesting that ciny.com is intentionally using impressment methods against Jürgen? That would be overestimating the reflectivities left on the radar here :D .

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The forum guidelines say, "You may not advertise or promote other companies or their programs which may compete with Cinematography.com." and also "We reserve the right to edit or remove any content on these forums that we deem inappropriate with or without forewarning. We will try to give fair warning when we can, but it is not always feasible to do so."

In other words, the administrators don't tolerate advertising unless it's paid. Seems crystal clear.

• Premium Member

I agree,

all this is indeed crystal clear (cf. my smiley in the post ;) )

I was just pointing out in the same vein that you put an angle forward that seemed to make look ciny.com as a place all about protecting existing or generating new advertising cash flows.

Knowing Tim, I would actually say that he knows quite well that in-forum adverts erode the quality of content and the communication here. That is probably much more the reason behind the deletion of Jürgen's advertising thread than to "...protect the fifteen advertisers in the right sidebar or to encourage..." Smallformat to join in, as you put it.

After all, adhering to Tim's forum rules (from 'naming' to 'behaving') have proved beyond doubt that they are the basis of what makes this community here such a productive place to hang out :) .

Cheers, -Michael

Knowing Tim, I would actually say that he knows quite well that in-forum adverts erode the quality of content and the communication here. ... After all, adhering to Tim's forum rules (from 'naming' to 'behaving') have proved beyond doubt that they are the basis of what makes this community here such a productive place to hang out :) .

This S8 forum is far quieter than filmshooting.com. I think part of the reason is that filmshooting.com is much less restrictive and the admin is less likely to step in. Filmshooting.com users demonstrate remarkable restraint when it comes to commercially-oriented posts. They're usually along the lines of a message from Roger announcing a new product or Juergen or Chris (although I haven't seen anything from him in a few months) with mention of their latest magazines.

And the use of nicknames doesn't cause much trouble there - most of the long-time users are on a first name basis anyway.

• Premium Member

I can well follow your views on this; and indeed not only the Super 8 subforum, but the entire forum (when compared to other non-film places, filmshooting.com or CML) is much quieter and less new-thread-creation oriented. This was discussed just recently in the Off-Topic subforum here following a point made by Paul.

With re. to ciny.com being more mature, pro-oriented and holistic as regards filmmaking formats and activities (which suits S8 well at this stage, IMHO) VERSUS filmsht.com being more energetic, quirky, off-topic and "personal/outspoken" in the exchange, this was covered in this thread here, which, incidentally (?) was closed down after giving all possible views on this matter :D .

At least users of both places or of filmsht.com exclusively can always come to this place here and inquiry about why the first has been put down again without prior announcement, as is happening right now...

Cheers, -Michael

• Premium Member

Jürgen Lossau

www.smallformat.de

I would have included "why my threads "about small format magazine" are regularly deleted..." I don't know if adm would consider a trade out in which you offer to list their website in your magazine every issue, but I'd at least make the offer to see if a trade out is possible. In that way you are actually driving people here which then benefits the advertisers that are paying to be listed on the right side of the column.

I don't speak for adm even in the least, I'm just suggesting to make the offer and see if it makes a difference.

• Premium Member
Hi Alex,

thanks for your suggestions. I will try to contact the adm. By the way: We do mention cinematography.com in nearly every issue of smallformat.

Juergen

I recall seeing filmshooting.com so perhaps I got them mixed up and have recalled cinematography.com as filmshooting. Hopefully you guys can work something out. I do know that Cinematography.com likes submitted articles from magazines that have yet to come out or have just come out. I forget where they go, perhaps they go on Tim's "announcements" forum.