filmshooting.com

david savetsky

Anybody here having troble logging in filmshooting.com

:(

Yes, in fact I just did - I have gotten a new 'VIP' number code and couple of weeks ago, I could log in but not today. I have tried several times today but I got fed up.

Any hints, master Giles or Andreas?

Best,

Bengt in Stockholm

Yes, in fact I just did - I have gotten a new 'VIP' number code and couple of weeks ago, I could log in but not today. I have tried several times today but I got fed up.

Any hints, master Giles or Andreas?

Best,

Bengt in Stockholm

yes, it seems to be down. I hope this doesn't imply a lot of work for the administrator.

• 2 weeks later...
Probably many are used to going straight to the forum and not the front page.

Or you could simply say, "The front page of filmshooting.com says that the site will be back on May 1st, after Andreas gets back from his honeymoon."

• Premium Member
Or you could simply say, "The front page of filmshooting.com says that the site will be back on May 1st, after Andreas gets back from his honeymoon."

You're kidding right? Have I done something wrong here?

My intent was to share information for the good of the super-8 community so people don't have to needlessly check everyday wondering what was going on. Are you implying a sinister motivation behind my sharing of useful information"

I'll just pretend you said "Thanks Alessandro, probably some people forgot to check the front page and were in the dark".

--------------------------------

You're welcome.

• Premium Member

Hey, actually, thanks Alex (or, well, actually... would you prefer Alessandro instead of Alex :unsure: ?)

Although I usually jump straight to the filmsht.com forum after nevertheless opening the front page first in the browser, I never actually look at it because it never gets updated and always looks visually identical, so even if you glimps it briefly, you wouldn't consciously notice the new News header!

In that respect, your attached image actually was very helpful and made me notice what is up! So I can follow your rationale 100%!

Also, I wouldn't worry about James' "stylisms" - I got worse to hear from him for no reason at all and there is something aggravating in his writing that makes you think he is upset while maybe he actually isn't at all.

Or maybe it's the particular climate in the (virtual) Smallformat office that oozes through here... after all, Jürgen is also easily (as in "unsubstantiatedly") aggravated as seen recently here... :huh: ... if I wouldn't know better, I would say it's "sooo German" :D .

(@ all mongers: I hold a German passport, so calm down, dears, it's irony!)

Have a nice week-end, Alessandro,

Cheers

-Michael

I wonder where Andreas is honeymooning in California?

Maybe he'll stop in at all the sights (Spectra, Pro 8, Yale, Yosemite...)

I got a little worried last week. When news broke that a Finnish tourist had been arrested on Easter Island for carving up a statue there, and then Filmshooting was down at the exact same time, I started putting two and two together.... thank god it's only a wedding.

Edited by Jim Carlile

• Premium Member
I wonder where Andreas is honeymooning in California?

Maybe he'll stop in at all the sights (Spectra, Pro 8, Yale, Yosemite...)

Haha, in that order.

I got a little worried last week. When news broke that a Finnish tourist had been arrested on Easter Island for carving up a statue there, and then Filmshooting was down at the exact same time, I started putting two and two together.... thank god it's only a wedding.

Somebody has an active imagination.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Filmshooting is definitely up and running, but there's a problem I've noticed that I don't see happen too much at this site:

Andreas over there has been censoring content.

It's rather distasteful, and I just wanted to warn you. He's especially prone to delete posts that contain left-wing or liberal comments, even if they are totally film related. He'll delete the whole thread.

Somebody last week asked about the Zapruder Kennedy film-- a great 8mm topic-- and when the discussion got around to Kodak and how everyone let Zapruder take the film around to the various labs, and how that would never happen today in a similar situation, out went his censor shears.

He's done this before. A few months ago someone posted an extremely interesting topic that they had been pinging around and had noticed that over 95% of the Filmshooting web traffic was being created by some entity in the Washington D. C. area, and not posters.

When it was pointed out that this was where the National Security Agency was, and that Filmshooting was obviously being monitored because of its international traffic, Andreas refused to allow the discussion.

What's he afraid of? I've noticed that many of you here are pretty vital and informative posters, yet you somehow are forbidden from being at that site...what gives?

The discussions over here have been more vital lately, I think. Most over there seem to always have something to sell.

• Premium Member
Filmshooting is definitely up and running, but there's a problem I've noticed that I don't see happen too much at this site:

I knew that Santo was right after all! Hail the Saint of Truth!! Filmsht.com is indeed what it appears to be...

A few months ago someone posted an extremely interesting topic that they had been pinging around and had noticed that over 95% of the Filmshooting web traffic was being created by some entity in the Washington D. C. area, and not posters.

When it was pointed out that this was where the National Security Agency was, and that Filmshooting was obviously being monitored because of its international traffic, Andreas refused to allow the discussion.

Who would have guessed that Maryland's finest are eavesdropping on "the other forum ®"? Maybe some renegate inhabitant of Fort Meade just wants to find out when Gottfried Klose will finally come up with his Velvia 50 New Cartridge product vapourware? I couldn't blame him/her!

What's he afraid of? I've noticed that many of you here are pretty vital and informative posters, yet you somehow are forbidden from being at that site...what gives?

The discussions over here have been more vital lately, I think.

Notwithstanding my humourous take at the seemingly quite worrying state of filmsht.com above, ciny.com is indeed generally regarded as a less vital, easy-going and twitterish but more productive, accurate and professional site with mannered members who do actually make films.

Most over there seem to always have something to sell.

...a problem that got recently imported to ciny.com and that is already met with a zero-tolerance party from Moderation in order to maintain the quality here!

He's done this before. A few months ago someone posted an extremely interesting topic that they had been pinging around and had noticed that over 95% of the Filmshooting web traffic was being created by some entity in the Washington D. C. area, and not posters.

I think I can explain the Washington D.C. traffic. I occasionally post film-related things on retrothing.com. If I learned about them through a thread on filmshooting I mention it in the post. It doesn't usually result in a huge amount of traffic, but several of my film-related writeups in the past few months have been linked to by some extremely large gadget blogs (which get several million readers per day), which resulted in a lot of unintended traffic flowing through to filmshooting.

Several of those sites are hosted at the AOL Dulles Data Center, a few short miles down the road from some very secretive and completely unrelated federal agencies. :)

Edited by James Grahame

It's rather distasteful, and I just wanted to warn you. He's especially prone to delete posts that contain left-wing or liberal comments, even if they are totally film related. He'll delete the whole thread.

Somebody last week asked about the Zapruder Kennedy film-- a great 8mm topic-- and when the discussion got around to Kodak and how everyone let Zapruder take the film around to the various labs, and how that would never happen today in a similar situation, out went his censor shears.

The discussions over here have been more vital lately, I think. Most over there seem to always have something to sell.

Jim no offence mate but that's a load of rubbish. The JFK murder has been discussed at laborious length on filmshooting.com - I'm talking threads that go for 10 pages or so - I can remember at least two seperate ones, with all sorts of angles and theories - little of it film related too. If Andreas wants to can another debate on it so what - it's his server and his bandwidth - and his time to monitor such edgey debates.

And so the NSA is in Washington and a large amount of filmshooting.com's traffic is from Washington and so therefore the Govt is monitoring everyone on filmshooting.com?? That is a nutty conspiracy theory. I was told at Uni there was actually a statistical correlation between how many times the then Pope would kiss the ground at airports, and how many earth quakes there were. Doesn't mean there's a causal link.

Scot

First of all, nobody was discussing the Kennedy assasination on that censored thread. It was purely a short discussion about the 8mm aspects of the lab processing and how Zapruder was allowed to take the film without being tackled by the CIA and cops, or arrested and accused of being part of the crime, which is what would happen nowadays.

It was a completely different topic than the other threads. But it was also more probing, with a point that might make some people unhappy.

Second, there's no conspiracy about the NSA and its contract agencies monitoring international web sites and communications. It's news. They've made no bones about it. In fact, it is also quite controversial because it involves looking in on American citizens.

It may be the case that the traffic was generated elsewhere. I have my doubts about that-- I wish the thread was still up because then the date could be discovered. But why would Andreas quickly take down the posting? It was an interesting observation that he didn't want discussed.

More explanation about this was allowed here than there! He can do anything he wants to, but why is he so offended by anti-establishment opinion? And why didn't he just lock the discussion, rather than remove it?

A little heavy-handed, I think.

• Premium Member

Please people. The NSA monitors EVERYTHING, not just one post. It's their job and they do it quite well.

They certainly wouldn't let anyone know they were paying special attention to something as clumsily as that.