How wide is the Angie 5.9mm?

Using this online tool and entering the std16 frame size of 10.26x7.49mm shows the diagonal angle of view for a 5.9mm lens is 94 degrees.

Because of the different format aspect ratios it might be better to use horizontal angle of view, in which case:

std16: 82 degrees

S16: 93 degrees

35mm equivalent: 21mm = 81 deg

120 equivalent: 32mm = 82 deg

Of course this doesn't directly help, but a search of sites such as Flickr for photos taken with either a 21mm lens on 35mm, or a 30/40mm lens with medium format should give an idea about what a 5.9mm will produce on 16mm

eg:

135 format Leica with 21mm lens

135 format Leica with 21mm lens

Voigtlander R4a with 21mm lens

Hope those links provide a guide as to how wide it will look, as for distortion etc. you'll obviously need to hold out for a frame grab from the Angenieux itself.

Edited by Ian Cooper

• Premium Member
Does anyone have any pics or footage shot with the angenieux 5.9mm lens? I was wondering if there was any kind of distortion and exactly just how wide of a shot it produced.

I assume you're talking about the 16mm format...

You can estimate field of view with a simple geometric formula: a lens that's twice as long sees half as wide. So a 5.9mm will see twice as wide as a 12mm on the same format.

I'm not familiar with this lens, but I would expect noticeable barrel distortion at that focal length.

I find that 82 degrees a bit narrow, from my experience. But I just googled, and other people are claiming around the same thing. I guess my memory is a bit cloudy. I can attest to it looking similar to the Kinoptik 5.7... I've used both (in r16) on different cameras.

Edited by Steve Wallace

• Premium Member
It's not a fish eye, so it'll look more like the Kinoptik 5.7mm.

It doesn't have to be fisheye to exhibit barrel distortion. It's a matter of "degree" (no pun intended) :P

I was thinking of the Century 6mm which does distort, but just a little.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

...I've used the lens on a Bell and Howell Filmo DR with great results. It will vignette on Super 16 for sure. I have also used the lens on a Beaulieu Super 8 camera for fixed focus shooting with great results. On Super 8 it is no longer wide angle.

My Ang 5.9 has good coatings and colors look amazing. I am also pleased with the fact that edge distortion is not noticeable. However, it may be that the colorist took care of that during telecine by cropping. All in all - it's a nice wide lens for regular 16 shooting

-s