Briese

Hah thanks Jon, I guess I was looking for someone to recommend a place they've used. I'll give Briese a call also.

How do the Briese's compare to an Aurasoft? I know CSC and Available Light rent those and I've been meaning to try both out.

thanks,

Matt

Matt, hope you're well man!

The only place in NY that rents them is Pier 59 studios, and they must be used on-site. The Bron Para is a replica of the briese system (close enough that they were sued), and much more available. Bron is part of the Broncolor / Kobold family, and I just saw at NAB that Kobold now has a modified Para that allows you to use either 4 x Bron 200w HMI's or 4 x 1K tungstens or 1x Joker *any wattage joker.

The only real concern with this kind of light is wind - it's a huge sail and gets really ungainly outdoors. In the studio, it's magic.

The beauty of the briese focus or bron para is that you're getting a very large specular source> The aurasofts are great too, but not the same effect. Basically the equivalent of a white beauty-dish in still photography.

Alternatively, there are the plume jumbrellas which give a different but excellent effect of somewhat like natural sunlight - a hot spot of specular light with a "sky" of fill. Obviously this effect can be created in other ways, but it's a nice tool just the same for its simplicity.

Oh, and if you're curious, I did ask on price at one point. Briese lights are VERY hard to get in the US, and cost roughly $12,000 (when I asked) for a 2.5K focus 220??? I could be off, but that's the number I remember... and it took me a few days of calling various numbers to get a quote.

Edited by Jaron Berman

Hey Jaron,

Nice to hear from you. I've been shooting a lot of music videos, I have a 35mm one tomorrow. Our steadicam op is Brandon Sumner. Could your rig have held a 435?

Yeah I've been to Milk Studios who have several Brieses, I think Pier59 is part of them. Thats too bad you can't take them outside, I guess they are expensive but so is an 18k...

For the 35mm music video the director is from the UK and really likes having the big Brieses and asked if I used them here. I told him in LA they are around but in NYC they are hard to come by. :(

I'll check out the BronColor...where should I look, lol.

I wasn't looking to buy, though bigger ones would be nice to keep my dirty laundry in. :lol:

So the Aurasoft if more like a Beauty Dish huh? Aren't those used more or less like a ringlight? I guess you just mean the quality of light. Is it like a skypan? It looks like it has more kick.

How is LA?

Matt

Ram is right - para doesn't come stock with capability to go that big, but the material can do it if you have one of the modified versions. Also, the actual opening mechanism is different (Bron had to stop selling the exact replica in the US at least...not sure about the world). On the briese, the umbrella support is external, to allow the light tube to move in and out for focusing. The modified para must move the light itself in and out, and has internal spokes so it's not quite as clean of a beam.... but it's close - a parabolic reflector is a parabolic reflector to a certain extent.

Mobility-wise, I think it's less the expense than it is how fragile they are - I knew a photog that owned a few and wouldn't use them outdoors. Its too easy to do small damage to them that's difficult to repair. Much cheaper to use an elinchrom octo without diffuser, and if anything bad happens you're out a LOT less cash.

I checked the price back then because we were renting the para enough to look into just buying something... and then the reality check of the price! YA Briese/para are great lights, very unique look if it fits (music video=perfect)

Yeah, the rig will fly 435 no sweat - but I have a 3-wk gig on a bl4 that's gonna hurt. I'm in the process of upgrading my arm just to have more breathing room. Anyways, good to know you're well. I'm interested to see what you end up using and how.... and obviously see the photos. Take care Matt!

• 2 weeks later...

Briese huh? I worked for Briese years ago when a guy called Brent first set up shop in NYC, as far as i know he's still here (212 414 9596) and has until recently had somewhat of a monopoly on the Briese rentals in NYC. Milk studios and Pier 59 studios (separate companies) have only recently purchased Briese (much to Brent's annoyance) and really only have a basic range of gear and primarily strobe as they are stills studios. Briese NYC (Brent's outfit) have the largest range of gear including up to 6K HMI which will go into the parabolic umbrellas described above. They are made out of kevlar for heat and come in a white and a silver. I know Dave Devlin, a gaffer who works for Steven Klien (Dolce Gabbana campaigns) is a huge fan and quite often rents from Briese NY. The lights are a little over-designed and are fragile to a degree but improvements have been made over the years. You can use them outside with exactly the same issues as flying a 12x12 rag, lots of sand bags and guy rope. Rumour has it that most of Pirates of the Caribbean was shot using Briese (could be a myth).

greg harris

Hey Greg,

Thanks for your input. The company wouldn't be Briese USA would it? Apparently a company by that name was claiming that they were the only distributor of Briese equipment in the US and were selling/renting knock off equipment. Just wondering.

If not, can you give me the name of the company and a contact number? I'd really like to start using them in NYC, especially because some clients are asking for them specifically.

Thanks,

Matt

• 4 months later...
Hey Greg,

Thanks for your input. The company wouldn't be Briese USA would it? Apparently a company by that name was claiming that they were the only distributor of Briese equipment in the US and were selling/renting knock off equipment. Just wondering.

If not, can you give me the name of the company and a contact number? I'd really like to start using them in NYC, especially because some clients are asking for them specifically.

Thanks,

Matt

Briese USA would indeed be that company you are referring to, if you mean the one that Briese (Germany) posted on their website in regards to claiming sole distribution rights.

Milk Studios and Drive In Studios are the two companies in NYC that also own Briese equipment besides this.

Pier 59 Studios did not actually purchase Briese equipment as of this time.

Please feel free to contact me at Drive In if you need any further assistance. 212 645 2244

Thanks

Kip

I feel like I have used Briese lights in the past outside of Pier 59 but it has been a while. I would check with a company like Available Light to see if they rent them, and I recently heard that Jim McMillian, who is a grip who does a lot of commercials and owns several grip truck packages recently bought a Briese for rental.

Best

Tim