RED SCANNER

Allen Achterberg

• Site Sponsor
Hmmm -- So why did the installed base here in LA flip from 100% CRT to probably well over 90% line array CCD?

-- J.S.

Cintel dominated the market for decades and then the Spirit arrived... trends change and many shops have both a Spirit and a DSX or similar. I do not know about the figures exactly but I think Cintel is making a bit of a comeback. I personally feel the Spirit gives a bit of a hard look with color that is not entirely real. Many hi end shops are using telecine for dailies now and doing finish for TV spots on an Arriscan..

I do believe the CCD in the Arriscan is the same or similar to the D20 but without the bayer color mask, and it is on a motorized stage to allow it to scan up to 6K. Color in the scanner is constructed from a three to six pass individual R,G,B flash.

I like the spirit but it is not the ultimate scanner and I feel it has been overtaken by other machines... that said I would not mind having one but they are very expensive , even on the used market.

-Rob-

• Premium Member
Hmmm -- So why did the installed base here in LA flip from 100% CRT to probably well over 90% line array CCD?

-- J.S.

Hi John,

Maintenance costs probably. A CRT with a new tube can look wonderful, but without a great deal of TLC quality suffers. A CCD just works.

Stephen

• Premium Member
The Spirit is a line array CCD machine, it has 4 lines, a B+W luminance, and three color lines...

-Rob-

I was under the impression the fourth CCD was infrared sensitive, for automatic scratch concealment. Since colour film is transparent to infrared, anything that shows up on IR has to be a scratch or manufacturing defect.

The Arriscan has provision for an IR flash as well as red, green and blue for this reason.

I would have thought a silicon photosensor would have completely the wrong spectral response to produce a precision luminance signal.

• Premium Member
It's a CMOS and apparently same chip as the D-20 (D-21 now ?). Reads to the sprockets per Mark from Arri on CML recently.

But no Bayer striping in this case are you saying ?

-Sam

It is exactly the same chip. I have it on good authority that the chip was originally designed for the Arriscan, and that the D-20 was more or less a spinoff project, to give them something to compete with the Genesis if push came to shove.

• Site Sponsor
I was under the impression the fourth CCD was infrared sensitive, for automatic scratch concealment. Since colour film is transparent to infrared, anything that shows up on IR has to be a scratch or manufacturing defect.

The Arriscan has provision for an IR flash as well as red, green and blue for this reason.

I would have thought a silicon photosensor would have completely the wrong spectral response to produce a precision luminance signal.

I have operated a Spirit-1 with a Pogle I do not believe that machine had a IR pass, the newer 2K/4K Spirits might.

-Rob-