Kahl NP21 & NP27 negative B&W home processing.

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with processing ORWO negative 100asa & 400asa at home?

Can I use Kodak D76 or Ilford ID11 to replace D96 wich I can't buy in Europe?

What about the fixing bath?

Thanks!

Benjamin.

Yes you can use those no problem. I use d76 myself.

Any black and white film fixer will do, just use the times specified for film by the fixer manufacturer. Remember fixer goes off so don't store it, use it.

good luck

Richard

Edited by Richard Tuohy

Fixer doesn't oxidise like dev so it lasts much longer. I've kept fixer for 5 years. Basically, you can use it until it stops smelling acidic.

But do bear in mind that 50' of Super-8 has as much emulsion area as two and a half 36-exposure 35mm. films, and 100' of 16mm. is equivalent to almost 10. So you do burn a lot of chemicals- I think it's a one-shot deal as far as dev is concerned.

• Premium Member
Fixer doesn't oxidise like dev so it lasts much longer. I've kept fixer for 5 years. Basically, you can use it until it stops smelling acidic.

The two common tests for fixer at home are

1) dip a sample of unprocessed film in fresh fixer, record the time it takes to become clear. After you use the fixer, repeat the test witha sample of the same film. When the time to clear has doubled, the fixer is full of silver and should be repleced or regenerated.

2) Look for a chemical called "Edwal Hypo Check" follow the directions but a drop of the stuff in used fixer will turn cloudy if the fixer is over used.

Labs will have more complecated checks, but they also use replenishment and so are chasing a moving target

• 2 weeks later...

i've developed orwo with d19 and d76 developer with awesome results, I also sent the film to a lab that only did double-x continuously and the orwo behaved like the kodak during the development.

Another thing that's good to know about orwo films:

They can also be developed as reversal.

The two common tests for fixer at home are

1) dip a sample of unprocessed film in fresh fixer, record the time it takes to become clear. After you use the fixer, repeat the test witha sample of the same film. When the time to clear has doubled, the fixer is full of silver and should be repleced or regenerated.

2) Look for a chemical called "Edwal Hypo Check" follow the directions but a drop of the stuff in used fixer will turn cloudy if the fixer is over used.

Labs will have more complecated checks, but they also use replenishment and so are chasing a moving target