need super 16 lens

Tom Hepburn

Hello,

I have an Eclair ACL and I need to get a lens for it. Unfortunately they are not as easy to acquire as I had previously thought. I'm looking for a zoom and I have between 1K and 2K to spend. I wish I had more, but I don't. Can anyone recommend the best value for a Super 16 lens with that budget in mind?

Also, my super 16 experience, is at the beginner level.

Thanks,

T

• Premium Member
http://cgi.ebay.com/Angenieux-15-150mm-f1-...Q2em118Q2el1247

for the value this is the best S16 lens you could get,

Best

Didn't know the ACL took C-mount lenses. Make sure to get a BIG support for that lens, especially if you hang it on a C-mount.

Hey Martin, did you get the XLR plug cover I sent you?

Best,

-Tim

Didn't know the ACL took C-mount lenses. Make sure to get a BIG support for that lens, especially if you hang it on a C-mount.

Hey Martin, did you get the XLR plug cover I sent you?

Best,

-Tim

Yes, the ACL takes C-mount lenses. And yes, strangely enough, the massive T1.9 15-150 Angie sits very comfortably on the rather tiny ACL frame without any support. I have shot with that exact combination many times and never had a glitch, although it was very scary and still is sometimes. Back in the day, those lenses and cameras were designed better I guess, because I have never seen or heard of a support bar setup made originally for ACL's.

Les Bosher makes a custom-designed lightweight support bars / matte box / interface plate set up for about 600 pounds, but otherwise is VERY hard to get an ACL with anything resembling support bars for such a big lens.

www.lesbosher.co.uk

ACLaccessories.jpg

Do you have the Arri B adapter for the ACL? If so, I recommend the tiny Angie T2.2 17-68 mm lens which I also own and which also covers S16 as a better option for everyday, hand held shooting. I bought mine as new old stock for $600 a couple of years back from ebay.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member
Hello,

I have an Eclair ACL and I need to get a lens for it. Unfortunately they are not as easy to acquire as I had previously thought. I'm looking for a zoom and I have between 1K and 2K to spend. I wish I had more, but I don't. Can anyone recommend the best value for a Super 16 lens with that budget in mind?

Also, my super 16 experience, is at the beginner level.

Thanks,

T

Tim,

I have seen a couple of inexpensive Angenieux Super 16 zooms at this Whitehouse Audio Visual link: http://www.whitehouseaudiovisual.com/07multi_lenses.html

They appear to be new old-stock lenses. I have no idea of the quality of the image they produce, but the price is right.

Maybe you can talk to someone about finding one with a mount that will work with your camera.

-Fran

Thanks so much for the info folks. On the advice of this board, Saul, and Bernie @ super 16 inc, I've bought a

Angie T2.2 17-68 mm lens

Some of what I shoot will be the kids and a lot of things where I don't want a ton of attention brought to me and the camera. So this seemed like the obvious choice. The ACL does have a Cmount. At least this one does.

Thanks in advance,

T

Didn't know the ACL took C-mount lenses.

Screw off the CA-1 mount and there's the C-mount.

The large thread the CA-1 mount was on is the TS-mount.

Eclair made Arri std. and Nikon mounts that fit it.

& Les Bosher makes a PL mount that fits it.