Max8 1014XL-S from Pro8mm

Alan Brown

According to issue 2/2008 of Small Format Magazine, Pro 8mm are now offering the max 8 conversion for Canon 1014XL-S owners. According to the news article:

"The Max1014 modification is now available at a price of $950.00 for the gate, viewfinder and 85 filter. This is an opportunty to get Canon 1014XL-S owners into Max8 and Hi Def compatibilty."

I've checked the Pro8mm website and can find little information on this. Anyone know anything about this?

According to issue 2/2008 of Small Format Magazine, Pro 8mm are now offering the max 8 conversion for Canon 1014XL-S owners. According to the news article:

"The Max1014 modification is now available at a price of $950.00 for the gate, viewfinder and 85 filter. This is an opportunty to get Canon 1014XL-S owners into Max8 and Hi Def compatibilty."

I've checked the Pro8mm website and can find little information on this. Anyone know anything about this?

It is in the May Pro 8mm newsletter, which is on their website. On their homepage in the lower right hand corner, look for the May 2008 news. It looks like a great camera. I wonder if they recentered the lens?

It is in the May Pro 8mm newsletter, which is on their website. On their homepage in the lower right hand corner, look for the May 2008 news. It looks like a great camera. I wonder if they recentered the lens?

doubt it.

That is the question: how can you re-center a lens on a body designed to have such lens centered ?

Same question applies to the Beaulieu 4008 ZM II body they advertise as Max 8.

I would be curious to see the actual result compared to a regular 1014 or 4008

and check the differences with a magnifier !

$750 for a 1014xl-s? Really? Nice camera but... really?

$750 might seem expensive for a super 8 camera but it was advertised as being in absolute perfect condition "so new, it even smells new" - according to the seller. And he was right. Not a scratch or scuff to be seen anywhere. I'm very happy with it (though I have had 'jitter' issues, but I'm puting that down to a cartridge issue)

950.00 for a Pro8 Canon 1014 with gate mod? WOW! Thats more than I would pay.

But, for those who have the bucks it might be worth considering. I would expect that their camera is fully refurbished and modified with a few accessories thrown in. And, it would be better than having to look for a decent one on Ebay.