How many of you are final cut certified? Is it worth it?

graham robbins

Hey everyone my friend from apple has got me interested in taking the test to become final cut pro certified. I was wondering how many of you have the same certification, and if you think it is worthwhile? Its a bit pricey so before I spend any money on it. I want to know it is at least somewhat helpful in getting jobs.

Thanks Again,

Graham R

• Premium Member
Hey everyone my friend from apple has got me interested in taking the test to become final cut pro certified. I was wondering how many of you have the same certification, and if you think it is worthwhile? Its a bit pricey so before I spend any money on it. I want to know it is at least somewhat helpful in getting jobs.

Thanks Again,

Graham R

I don't know if it helps or not for getting work but if I were doing the hiring for an editor, it would have more to do with what work they've done in the past over some silly certification. Certificates only prove you know how to use the program, not that you can artistically edit a film.

Just a thought.

• Premium Member

Second that. In the end what matters is the creativity and technique of an editor, not the ability to use this or that piece of software. So I would rate references and reels over any certificate!

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

have known some people to have done it and it might help with corporate clients, but never really considered it myself- after this many years if i need a fu**ing certificate...

btw i am featured on apple's site at moment as part of a profile on live from abbey road. check my moves etc. a few journalistic inacuracies but its nice for my inner geek!

apple pro page

keith

I've never seen a job description that requires certification in a piece of software. And I work for the government. If we don't need to see a certification, no one does. The ability to demonstrate that you can use it is far more important, and for that a reel is your best bet. If you're just starting out and don't have any way to create a professional looking reel, the certification is better than nothing, but getting a reel together needs to be your top priority.

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing I can see certification being useful for is getting a job at an actual post production house. If you include that certification on a resume, they know that you know how to use the software and you won't need somebody else to waste their time to teach you the software (when they probably have plenty of work to do themselves). Which I would assume equates to having you picked for certain position to be filled over somebody that doesn't have certification for that particular software. Just having a reel doesn't mean you know how to use certain software... I could cut something on iMovie and make a reel.... does that mean I know how to use Avid or Final Cut?

Edited by Andrew McCarrick

• Premium Member

According to Apple:

Apple Certified Pros are recognized as highly skilled users of the chosen application. This allows you to differentiate yourself to employers and colleagues as a certified professional to promote career growth. A certificate from Apple distinguishes you as an Apple Certified Pro and you will have the right to use the Apple Certified Pro logo on your business cards or website.

According to me:

You spend money. Apple makes money. You get nothing applicable in the real world other than telling someone you know Final Cut. I'm not certified yet I edit 80 hours a week. Regardless of what you put on a resume pertaining ot editing, anyone is going to ask to see your work or see you edit.

Where is it good? If you don't know Final Cut well and want to take a paid course in how ot use it properly.

Well I went ahead and got it, I wasn't going to because it was 100 bucks. I found through my school it was only 50 so I figured why not and went for it. The good news is I didn't fail, and who knows someday I just might use it.