My "new" Elmo 1012S-XL arrived

Matthew W. Phillips

• Premium Member

I have been bragging about the Elmo 1012S-XL for over a week now on this forum based on the specs and based off of holding and viewing others cameras. Today though, I received mine from www.Super8Camera-shop.com in Germany. I have spent all day so far playing with it and now have a truly first hand account of my impressions of the camera. My previous A-cam was a Sankyo 620-XL Supertronic.

Below are some pics of the camera with me, my daughter, and the camera by itself.

REVIEW OF SUPER8CAMERA-SHOP.COM

First off, I would like to say that I am very pleased with the packaging, quick response time, and overall look (at least cosmetically) of my product from this shop. I will not know the full functionality of this camera until I process my test roll that I'm going to shoot tommorrow, but the looks of this camera are pretty consistant with the EX++ rating they gave it. In fact, the only flaw I see with this camera cosmetically is that a small part of the eyecup is cracked. It is still very much usable though. The lens looks Ultra-clean without scratches or dust. It was wisely delivered covered with the 62mm Hoya Skylight filter to protect the front of the glass. Pending any serious mechanical issues with the way the camera runs film through, it seems to be a good buy. With batteries, this camera runs nice and consistently. Overall, I would recommend this camera shop based off of my initial impression of the product.

REVIEW OF THE ELMO 1012S-XL FEATURES AND HANDLING

I cannot yet comment on the optics of this camera since the test roll has not been shot or processed yet, but I will explain my impression of the features this camera has.

PROS:

-Single Frame AND 24FPS for sync sound shooting

-Quieter motor than most Super 8 cameras I've seen (only the Nizo "4-digit" series' are quietter)

-Camera is well constructed and feels like it's built to last forever...very sturdy.

-Zoom lens is long and robust. Has a smooth feel to it, easy to focus, has macro, getting max sharpness is easy, not frustrating like some S8 cameras I've played with.

-Camera has the "bulk" needed for steady 2-handed work...not recommended for single hand unless you are Hulk Hogan or are shooting short takes. This is not a light S8 camera.

-Even though it's doubtful this will matter, it has the future possibility of 200ft mags/cartridges.

-Absolutely awesome and unheard of feature of being able to set manual exposure without the camera being on or even having batteries in it!

CONS:

-Will not meter 64T stock automatically. Must use an external meter.

-Optometer is not as precise as some I've seen. It has preset grooves for ranges instead of smooth, "lock-anywhere" approach that I've seen (ie Sankyo 620-XL)

-Not good for run-and-gun situations due to the sheer size if this beast. I was actually amazed at how big it felt to hold by the handle in one hand. I personally find the size a plus since I prefer tripod work and the "sexiness" factor in a larger camera for potential actors.

OVERALL GRADE: A-

VS. MY OLD SANKYO 620-XL

Sorry Sankyo, but Elmo is my new A cam.

I'm posting this thread for informational purposes since it is hard to find info. on particular Super 8 cameras, especially ones that aren't iconic like the Beaulieu 4008. If anyone has anything else to add, feel free to do so.

mpcam001.jpg

toricam001.jpg

elmocam001.jpg

Nice. At the time it was considered to be on a par with the Canon 1014 XLS, just less features. And very very quiet. Much quieter than any others except the sound Nizos.

When the 64T is in the camera, does it push down the speed-pin or does the pin stay up?

It's either setting the camera for ASA 40 or 160, which means all you have to do is use the internal meter for a base reading and then spin the manual dial up or down a stop or so to compensate for the ASA 64.

The completely manual, mechanical aperture override is very nice. It means the camera is always useable. It's the only sound Elmo where the manual control wasn't coupled to the iris motor.

When it comes to heft there aren't any better than the 1012. I've noticed the European dealers are starting to buy them up big time.

Matthew, don't get rid of your Sankyo. You can use it when your Elmo gives up the ghost. And it will at some point and odds are the Sankyo will still be going strong. The Elmo was a great camera and I loved using mine, but it doesn't have a good track record for long term reliability. Good luck.

• Premium Member
Matthew, don't get rid of your Sankyo. You can use it when your Elmo gives up the ghost. And it will at some point and odds are the Sankyo will still be going strong. The Elmo was a great camera and I loved using mine, but it doesn't have a good track record for long term reliability. Good luck.

For sure not, but for now the Sankyo is B cam. If the Elmo bombs out in the future, i'll need to get another camera that is crystal synable through the film group. I simply HAVE to shoot dialog. I try to write shorts without dialog but I guess I like dialog. Maybe I'm Kevin Smith?

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

I have used this camera when I was in my college years back in the 90s. Love the camera. I used it for 24 fps and also single frames for stop motion. Lens is beautiful. It was a leap up from the Elmo 350 camera I had used for many years. I had since bought an Elmo 1000, which is like the 1012, minus stop motion. I'd like to get a 1012 for myself one day, but that may not happen, since I've decided to use 16mm for my new work and use.

• 2 years later...