What is the minimum wage for PAs?

• Premium Member
What is the minimum wage for PAs?

The minimum wage for any crew/cast position is nothing. That is what I pay PAs. Then again I deal with people who are more concerned with getting a chance to build their resume than just making money.

I want to add that you are supposed to have a handle that is both your first and last name. You might have a hard time convincing moderators that you only have one name.

The minimum wage for a PA in California is $8.00 an hour, with time and a half after 8 hours. That's the law and it's not negotiable, for example you cannot legally agree not to be paid overtime. If you're getting paid less than that, your employer is in violation of state law.

I would also keep in mind the aggressive attitude that you're seeing in the previous post next time you have the pleasure of negotiating with somebody who wants to pay you less than minimum wage, as it a clear example of how people will try to devalue your time and skills if you let them.

It's been a while, but when I first moved to LA I was a PA for a little while on some infomercials and a couple other broadcast specials. I was getting paid something like $75 a day FLAT to run around LA and do "whatever." I got a peek at the UPM's budget once though to discover that "officially" we were all getting paid more. Lord knows all the intricacies of the Hollywood budget, but it's likely that doing this allowed her to "come in under budget" and/or allow some skimming off the top to take place for one reason or another.

Legal or not, PAs still were going home with less than they should have. Just be careful to not let anyone abuse you and take advantage of you just because you want to work in the movie business. Remember, they need you as much as you need them.

Pay varies widely depending on the type of television show or film production. Standard rates in film typically range from 112-150 dollars for 12 hours plus overtime. On a television show, pay ranges from 8 dollars an hour with overtime, to flat fees of 500-650 dollars a week, including or excluding possible overtime. Benefits are conferred depending on where a PA is employed. Sony Pictures Entertainment, Warner Brothers, Touchstone Television, and NBC all offer benefits to PAs.

No union currently exists for production assistants, but the affiliation of a production with a union (or unions) can affect the job responsibilities of a PA. Less unionized shows have more positions that can be serviced by non-union personnel; consequently, PAs on such productions may take on a greater variety of non-traditional duties. Examples of this would be a PA setting a light bounce (grip department) or driving a passenger van (teamster/transportation department).

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_assistant

I want to add that you are supposed to have a handle that is both your first and last name. You might have a hard time convincing moderators that you only have one name.

Well maybe he's such a famous PA he only goes by one name like, Bono or Cher.

R,

• Premium Member
I would also keep in mind the aggressive attitude that you're seeing in the previous post next time you have the pleasure of negotiating with somebody who wants to pay you less than minimum wage, as it a clear example of how people will try to devalue your time and skills if you let them.

That's Bull and you know it Mike. The film industry has been like this as long as there has been a film industry, pretty much. There isn't a single person on this forum that has never done freebies...at least not that I've met. What your saying is akin to saying that hospitals and Drs offices are breaking the law because they don't pay medical externs anything. That is nonsense. MANY lines of work are entitled to have "interns" working for them for nothing.

The minimum wage for any crew/cast position is nothing. That is what I pay PAs. Then again I deal with people who are more concerned with getting a chance to build their resume than just making money.

I think the original question was regarding PA work on movies with an actual working budget. Not to step on anyone's toes, but there are some of us who make money working on film productions and would like to continue doing so, for every hour worked. That is why we have unions in this business. No matter the job position a person is holding: If that person is actually working, he or she DESERVES to be paid, unless it is agreed beforehand that the work will be performed gratis. I don't know why would anyone want to do this longer than a couple of days.

Mike is right, DGA rules dictate that $8.00 is the wages for SET PA's in its area of coverage, plus overtime after 8 hours. Otherwise it varies by department and it can be up to $15 per hour or more, but it often is a flat rate, and it usually works against the PA. Very often a flat-rate PA ends up working endless hours.

• Premium Member
I think the original question was regarding PA work on movies with an actual working budget. Not to step on anyone's toes, but there are some of us who make money working on film productions and would like to continue doing so, for every hour worked. That is why we have unions in this business. No matter the job position a person is holding: If that person is actually working, he or she DESERVES to be paid, unless it is agreed beforehand that the work will be performed gratis. I don't know why would anyone want to do this longer than a couple of days.

Mike is right, DGA rules dictate that $8.00 is the wages for SET PA's in its area of coverage, plus overtime after 8 hours. Otherwise it varies by department and it can be up to $15 per hour or more, but it often is a flat rate, and it usually works against the PA. Very often a flat-rate PA ends up working endless hours.

Saul, I realize what you are saying. I'm just saying that people are setting themselves up for a response like that when they ask what the "minimum" is. You can quote collective bargain rates and laws and all of that, but in practice, it comes down to the individuals involved. During times of bounty, you can be more selective as a PA, or anything for that matter. In times of struggle, you may want to take a low daily rate over not eating for the day. Another thing that I take offense to is how little regard is giving for the "Extras" that some productions give in this field that many other industries don't. For instance, if one production gives you $10.00/hr for a 10 hour day and there is no mileage reimbursement, no lodging for out of town expenses, no food, nothing but your rate, is that better than getting paid a daily rate of $75 where you get mileage reimbursement, decent lodging, all meals and beverages covered, etc. I realize that when this is your livelihood that you need money. But there is more to consider than just the hourly or daily rate.

That's Bull and you know it Mike. The film industry has been like this as long as there has been a film industry, pretty much. There isn't a single person on this forum that has never done freebies...at least not that I've met. What your saying is akin to saying that hospitals and Drs offices are breaking the law because they don't pay medical externs anything. That is nonsense. MANY lines of work are entitled to have "interns" working for them for nothing.

Well Matthew you did originally respond with, "The minimum wage for any crew/cast position is nothing."

Now you have switched gears to talk about "interns". Crew and Cast are not "interns" they are crew and cast. How can a lead actor or a DOP be an intern?

Yes many interns do work for free that's true. I think if some one works on a film and is receiving college credit, but no salary, that is considered ok because at least they are getting some thing in return for their labour.

The only freebies I've done was when I was a volunteer at the local cable station, age 16. Then as a PA on a student film when I was 18 and in university. I've never allowed any one onto one of my sets to work for free. Maybe I only paid PAs $75.00/day, but they still got paid.

R,

• Premium Member
Well Matthew you did originally respond with, "The minimum wage for any crew/cast position is nothing."

Yes, I did. I don't think the concept of an unpaid job is new to you. I know it isn't to me. Everytime someone in my family moves, I help them pro bono or gratis or whatever the current politically correct word for free is.

Now you have switched gears to talk about "interns". Crew and Cast are not "interns" they are crew and cast. How can a lead actor or a DOP be an intern?

Yes many interns do work for free that's true. I think if some one works on a film and is receiving college credit, but no salary, that is considered ok because at least they are getting some thing in return for their labour.

This attitude is troubling, Richard, especially coming from you. Since when is gaining knowledge not a reward in itself? Do I have to get paid to go to school? Let's hope not. I think you and others are mistaking what I'm saying, and maybe I shouldn't have been sarcastic in regards to the original post in this thread. The people I work with are the people with little or no experience, and people who you probably wouldn't spit on if they were on fire. I don't pay them because I feel they are getting a chance that they are not getting anywhere else and that is to learn something and have something, no matter how humble, to put on a resume for something "better" next time. I'm sorry if people are so obsessed with compensation or college credit that they don't care about personal growth or learning anymore. I guess it shouldn't surprise me. I was one of very few people at my college who took classes for personal enrichment and I would get laughed at because it wouldn't "increase my earning potential" or "factor into the units I need for my degree" or whatever.

The only freebies I've done was when I was a volunteer at the local cable station, age 16. Then as a PA on a student film when I was 18 and in university. I've never allowed any one onto one of my sets to work for free. Maybe I only paid PAs $75.00/day, but they still got paid.

R,

I would love to be able to pay people but my budgets haven't been large enough yet unless I wanted to shoot digitally instead of on film. Sad to say though, if I start paying people, my requirements will go up proportinally to the amount I am willing to pay. This is the tradeoff. The people whom I don't pay now probably wouldn't benefit from if I started paying because they lack the experience to warrant a rate that an experienced position would make...did that make sense? :blink:

Anyhow, it seems to be a matter of perspective...you see me as taking advantage where I see it as giving someone a chance.

"This attitude is troubling, Richard, especially coming from you. Since when is gaining knowledge not a reward in itself?"

Ok well if you have some sort of filmmaking "collective" where people get together to make films just for the joy and experience, then that's fine of course. People are also free to give away their labour if they want to, even if they don't have any stake in the project.

Like I said I worked for free at the local cable station in high school, I was glad to be there, and I never felt I was being taken advantage of.

What is nuts though are the Mandy ads asking for free labour or "deferral" on what is obviously an attempt to make a commercial project. The reason I think this is wrong is because the film industry is a "dream" job for most people and they are willing to do any thing to break into the industry. How many people work for free to break into a back breaking profession like landscaping? Would many be willing to lay sod for 10 hours a day, for eight weeks, to gain experience?

In my case I hear bitching and moaning through the grape vine from past crew members who think I took advantage of them, even though they where paid their day rate in full and every Friday!

It's going to get worse when I finally announce all the deals that have closed on my feature, and crew members start seeing it pop up "every where."

R,

• Premium Member
Ok well if you have some sort of filmmaking "collective" where people get together to make films just for the joy and experience, then that's fine of course. People are also free to give away their labour if they want to, even if they don't have any stake in the project.

I list ads for positions and I'm totally up front from the beginning about it. I tell people that there is no pay OR deferment. I inform them that the project will not likely make money but serve to be entered into film festivals.

Like I said I worked for free at the local cable station in high school, I was glad to be there, and I never felt I was being taken advantage of.

I'm glad you did your pro bono work Richard.

What is nuts though are the Mandy ads asking for free labour or "deferral" on what is obviously an attempt to make a commercial project. The reason I think this is wrong is because the film industry is a "dream" job for most people and they are willing to do any thing to break into the industry. How many people work for free to break into a back breaking profession like landscaping? Would many be willing to lay sod for 10 hours a day, for eight weeks, to gain experience?

This is hilarious. The landscaping analogy cracked me up. If you look at it like this, your reasoning is right. Then again, how many people dream of becoming landscapers?

In my case I hear bitching and moaning through the grape vine from past crew members who think I took advantage of them, even though they where paid their day rate in full and every Friday!

See! Regardless of what you do, some people still won't be happy.

It's going to get worse when I finally announce all the deals that have closed on my feature, and crew members start seeing it pop up "every where."

Oh well, maybe if they had a better atittude you might higher them at a hire rate for another project.

• Premium Member

I'm sure many of us on this forum have done our share of freebies. I certainly have done a hefty amount of them in the past. This is how I learned and built up experience. This is fine when you are brandspanking new to the business and have absolutely no connections or experience, but eventually you need to get paid for your work. It is necessary for survival. It is impossible to pay rent without making money. I still can't understand how someone can work for 3 months on a no budget feature for free and still afford to live in LA. I can barely pay rent right now and I get paid to work.

Matthew W. Phillips, is the reason that you don't pay your PA's because you can't afford to? If you are making something that is ultra low budget, I could see how that could be a situation. I just hope that you realize what a huge favor these PA's are doing for you. When someone works for free, they are a volunteer. Do you show them appreciation and say thankyou everyday to each of them. Do you feed them hot meals (not Pizza or Subway) every six hours. Do you compensate them for gas/ lodging, etc... If people are working for free for you, these things are the BARE MINIMUM. And I'm sure if you had a bigger budget you would pay your PAs.

I know some PA's who make $250 a day. I don't know what the minimum wage is for a PA other than $8 per hour in California, but being a PA doesn't necessarily mean crappy pay either.

This thread has gotten rather argumentative. I think everyone on this thread has interesting points and perspectives and I hope we can respect them all.

• Premium Member
I'm sure many of us on this forum have done our share of freebies. I certainly have done a hefty amount of them in the past. This is how I learned and built up experience. This is fine when you are brandspanking new to the business and have absolutely no connections or experience, but eventually you need to get paid for your work. It is necessary for survival. It is impossible to pay rent without making money. I still can't understand how someone can work for 3 months on a no budget feature for free and still afford to live in LA. I can barely pay rent right now and I get paid to work.

I don't know about this as I don't live in LA. I tend to find other ways to make a living, many are not so glamourous...such is the price to pay for pursuing a great career field.

Matthew W. Phillips, is the reason that you don't pay your PA's because you can't afford to? If you are making something that is ultra low budget, I could see how that could be a situation. I just hope that you realize what a huge favor these PA's are doing for you. When someone works for free, they are a volunteer. Do you show them appreciation and say thankyou everyday to each of them. Do you feed them hot meals (not Pizza or Subway) every six hours. Do you compensate them for gas/ lodging, etc... If people are working for free for you, these things are the BARE MINIMUM. And I'm sure if you had a bigger budget you would pay your PAs.

Yes, I cannot afford to pay PAs. All of the PAs I work with are aware of this and they don't have a problem with it. One thing to realize is...I'm not working these people for 3-8 week features. I'm only making single day to weekend shorts. That is much easier to swallow in regards to a free gig. I am very appreciative, I also am willing to allow them chances to do other things on set if they desire to. For instance, I had a PA who wanted to get into AC work so I let him shoot a scene with the help of the DP. I'll even give them credit as a 2nd AC if they end up progressing to it. I do provide food and beverages on set too. They work about 12 hours in a day and get 2 meals so I guess that's approx. 6 hours. Lodging hasn't been a problem up until now since I've worked with very local crew on mostly single day shoots. I most definitely would pay PAs if I had a larger budget and many of them I plan to take with me in the future in higher positions if I get the chance. My set has always ran more like a family than like a regimented military camp. I've never had to "tell people off" or anything like that.

I know some PA's who make $250 a day. I don't know what the minimum wage is for a PA other than $8 per hour in California, but being a PA doesn't necessarily mean crappy pay either.

I think $250/day for a PA is starting to take advantage of a filmmakers hospitality. This is assuming that they get the other perks like food, gas, and lodging. I refuse to work anyone more than 12 hours/day so that would be like me paying them over $20/hr. I'm not sure I would ever pay a PA that.

This thread has gotten rather argumentative. I think everyone on this thread has interesting points and perspectives and I hope we can respect them all.

I think that whenever Richard or I am involved in any thread, it can seem arguementative. Put us together and it really seems that way. However, my posts tend to sound harsher than what I mean them to. Sorry if I offended anyone...I value PAs, as I value anyone on my set...without them, my film would not be made.

• Premium Member
I think $250/day for a PA is starting to take advantage of a filmmakers hospitality. This is assuming that they get the other perks like food, gas, and lodging. I refuse to work anyone more than 12 hours/day so that would be like me paying them over $20/hr. I'm not sure I would ever pay a PA that.

I'm glad that you keep your days at a maximum of 12 hours. I wish more productions would operate this way. The thing is, paying a PA $20 dollars per hour might seem like a lot when it is coming out of your own pocket for a 12hr day. And if you're on a very low budget, that would be a considerable expense. But it is different when it is a large production working the PA's 18 hours a day. I know a PA who make $200 a day, but he often works 16-17 hours a day and there is no overtime.

If you were to divide this into an hourly wage, it would be approximately 10 dollars an hour plus time and a half from hour 8-12 and double time from hour 12-17 according to California Law. It's better than minimum wage, but not by much.

I'm glad that you appreciate your crew and try to give them opportunities to move up. I hope you keep your 12 hr maximum. It's better for everyone.

I refuse to work anyone more than 12 hours/day so that would be like me paying them over $20/hr. I'm not sure I would ever pay a PA that.

...I value PAs, as I value anyone on my set...without them, my film would not be made.

So you value PAs just as long as they don't cost $20/hr? ;)

I think that everyone understands that not every film/tv project can be $100 million+. With that in mind, not every Producer can pay PAs what they are worth. If there's anything bothersome, it's the use of the words "would ever" which indicates that the contribution of some people isn't worth a livable wage. There are certainly different skillsets and levels of experience and "more" should command a higher rate. But to suggest that someone with limited or no experience isn't worth any money at all (in exchange for "experience") is devaluing that person's help for your project even if all they really know how to do is drive X from A to B. Just showing up to help is worth something because if that person isn't there, then who is going to do that job?

• Premium Member
So you value PAs just as long as they don't cost $20/hr? ;)

All work is important but let's be honest, not everyone is going to make $50-$100/hr. I'll be my own PA before i'll do that. I'm not trying to devalue anyone but there has to be a pay scale equitable with the job difficulty involved. Otherwise, why not pay PAs like DPs? Don't they work as hard...probably harder? DPs work smarter and what they do takes much more knowledge than a PA so that's why they get paid more.

If there's anything bothersome, it's the use of the words "would ever" which indicates that the contribution of some people isn't worth a livable wage. There are certainly different skillsets and levels of experience and "more" should command a higher rate. But to suggest that someone with limited or no experience isn't worth any money at all (in exchange for "experience") is devaluing that person's help for your project even if all they really know how to do is drive X from A to B. Just showing up to help is worth something because if that person isn't there, then who is going to do that job?

Well, when I say "would ever" I'm referring to the now. Obviously as inflation makes things more expensive, salaries must be adjusted. As far as "livable wage", you really think the a person has to make $250/day to live? Maybe in LA but where I'm at $250/day wages are above average. That is another thing people aren't realizing is geography. LA needs to pay higher because the cost of living is higher AND their is more demand. Sad fact of life is the supply and demand curve. When demand is high, prices go up. When demand is low (where I'm at) prices go way down. I didn't suggest that people with no experience aren't worth anything. I said I would pay people if I had the budget. I just said that it's human nature to look for experience when you do start paying people. So I worry that the people I "hire" now wouldn't get hired if I started paying people because then you start looking at things like experience.

All work is important but let's be honest, not everyone is going to make $50-$100/hr. I'll be my own PA before i'll do that.

So as the Director, in the midst of the production day, you'd be willing and able to just leave the set to go make a delivery because you aren't willing or able to pay a PA what he/she may ask? :unsure: How does that work?

I'm not trying to devalue anyone but there has to be a pay scale equitable with the job difficulty involved. Otherwise, why not pay PAs like DPs? Don't they work as hard...probably harder? DPs work smarter and what they do takes much more knowledge than a PA so that's why they get paid more.

As I said above, skillsets and experience command higher rates. Zero experience though shouldn't automatically be equated with zero dollars. As alluded to above, there is a reason a production needs PAs (because you can't just walk off the set whenever something needs to be done) so just their mere willingness and presence on your production is worth something. Yes, they gain experience, but how long can a "great project" Producer play that card before the pool of available Production Assistants catches on that they are just being used as cheap expendable labor?

Well, when I say "would ever" I'm referring to the now. Obviously as inflation makes things more expensive, salaries must be adjusted. As far as "livable wage", you really think the a person has to make $250/day to live? Maybe in LA but where I'm at $250/day wages are above average. That is another thing people aren't realizing is geography. LA needs to pay higher because the cost of living is higher AND their is more demand. Sad fact of life is the supply and demand curve. When demand is high, prices go up. When demand is low (where I'm at) prices go way down. I didn't suggest that people with no experience aren't worth anything. I said I would pay people if I had the budget. I just said that it's human nature to look for experience when you do start paying people. So I worry that the people I "hire" now wouldn't get hired if I started paying people because then you start looking at things like experience.

One person's "livable wage" is someone else's "are you kidding me?!" So, given that, I don't know that there is any inherent number that would answer the initial question in this thread beyond stating the State and Federal guidelines regarding what is considered "minimum wage." Anything less is really just someone taking advantage of someone else's dreams, enthusiasm, and naivete. Certainly, your own examples of single-day shorts is one thing and it is understandable when that project is not being produced with any realistic expectation of profit from it. But the initial question of the thread likely speaks to the actual professional industry where people who are serious about an actual career in the business would like to earn a "livable wage" by working in the business. It's one thing to go "help out" a friend for a day or two to make a fun short that might get in a festival someplace. It's another to go to work for TBD hours a day for TBD weeks on end on a low flat rate on a project that someone else will make a profit on.

• Premium Member
So as the Director, in the midst of the production day, you'd be willing and able to just leave the set to go make a delivery because you aren't willing or able to pay a PA what he/she may ask? :unsure: How does that work?

I was being dramatic...this wouldn't happen because it wouldn't need to happen. I could find someone to work within a rate I can afford. I don't think anyone should overstate their importance. Any of us are replaceable and can be had for cheaper counterparts. Will quality suffer? Maybe, but it comes down to "you got to do what you got to do." I know my attitude seems harsh, and I don't mean it to. At the same time though, my past experience as a manager has sortof dulled me to making financial cuts for the sake of the "greater good." Whatever that means.

As I said above, skillsets and experience command higher rates. Zero experience though shouldn't automatically be equated with zero dollars. As alluded to above, there is a reason a production needs PAs (because you can't just walk off the set whenever something needs to be done) so just their mere willingness and presence on your production is worth something. Yes, they gain experience, but how long can a "great project" Producer play that card before the pool of available Production Assistants catches on that they are just being used as cheap expendable labor?

Unfortunately a Producer can play the card as long as there are more people up and coming willing to do it. Not saying I intend on milking it forever, but there will be some who will, even if they CAN afford to pay. Like I said several times before, I believe the people I work with deserve to be paid, but I cannot afford to pay them. I'm not misleading anyone and they are welcome not to be on my production if they want money. If THEY feel like it's worth it to them, why should anyone else say otherwise?

One person's "livable wage" is someone else's "are you kidding me?!" So, given that, I don't know that there is any inherent number that would answer the initial question in this thread beyond stating the State and Federal guidelines regarding what is considered "minimum wage." Anything less is really just someone taking advantage of someone else's dreams, enthusiasm, and naivete. Certainly, your own examples of single-day shorts is one thing and it is understandable when that project is not being produced with any realistic expectation of profit from it. But the initial question of the thread likely speaks to the actual professional industry where people who are serious about an actual career in the business would like to earn a "livable wage" by working in the business. It's one thing to go "help out" a friend for a day or two to make a fun short that might get in a festival someplace. It's another to go to work for TBD hours a day for TBD weeks on end on a low flat rate on a project that someone else will make a profit on.

Well, if you're going according to California minimum wage standards, even with overtime, I should be paying my PAs $112 for a 12 hour day of which they have taxes taken out. That is a far cry from $250. People can want whatever they want but that doesn't mean anyone is going to pay them that. Also, the opportunity cost of not taking a job is great if you don't have something better to take the place for that date. I know what you'll say..."I know PAs that make blah blah" but the question is..."Can they make that much for the exact date that I would need them for?" If not, who cares? What's more important...making $112 for a day or sitting at home and making nothing? I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

• Premium Member

"Who is a film "by"? Spend a day on the set and you learn. It is by everyone that worked on it." (Bambi vs Godzilla: David Mamet).

A good producer and director will respect the efforts of the crew, no matter how low on the totem pole.

Jason

• Premium Member
"Who is a film "by"? Spend a day on the set and you learn. It is by everyone that worked on it." (Bambi vs Godzilla: David Mamet).

A good producer and director will respect the efforts of the crew, no matter how low on the totem pole.

Jason

Who isn't respecting crew? Respect is defined as "holding one in high regard; giving praise to one; showing honor to someone or something." I've never seen a definition of respect that has anything to do with money.

The going rate on a production, with a real budget, is at least $100/day, usually with overtime after 12 hours. $200/ day is the highest I've heard of for a PA, but at that level, don't expect OT. The higher the rate, the more skills someone expects and the longer hours. Always factor in the working conditions (ie working in extreme temperatures) and hours they expect. A lot of companies play games about daily and weekly overtime. Weekly/monthly salary should be higher than the equivalent day rates, since salaried positions don't usually have OT.

My personal opinion, coming from my own experience, you don't need to "learn" to be a PA. The PA position is the entry level position, where you don't need experience to do the task required. You can go to Starbucks already, right? I have been one to intern in the past, but I learn the hard way that some people take advantage of you once they know you'll work for free, they won't ever want to pay you. If they don't have money to pay you know, how much can you count on them having more money later? If it happens they do, great, but be realistic.

If you're going to work for free, my suggestion is that you do it in a position (in a department you want o be in) where you really learn skills, like how to load a camera mag, or work a c-stand properly. If they want you to work for free, they need to understand that you're only going to be doing so to learn, so they better be willing to spend the time to teach you something. There is a fine line between paying your dues, and being taken advantage of, and each person needs to decide where that line is for themselves. If they treat you poorly and don't pay, don't be afraid to quit or turn down the offer (just don't literally walk off without an explantion). So what if someone who won't pay you won't hire you again?

Edited by Michele Peterson