Craigslist.org

My own personal rollercoaster. I have found some gems, and I have found the complete opposite. I still work with some people that I have found on/through craigslist.

Does anyone here have any good/bad stories?

Jamie

• Premium Member

My last short film and the one I'm working on now have been practically entirely cast and crewed by people I found on Craigslist. I think there are a lot of great people you can meet and work with if you make sure you properly screen them. A simple phone call can go a long way in seeing someone's motivations and seeing if they are mentally savvy or not.

In addition to getting cast and crew members there, I also got some press publicity this way. A writer for the Sacramento Bee is going to publish an article about my short film which he heard about through Criagslist and sent me an email with his number. I called him, discussed the film's plot and purpose of the film, and he is going to put it in next Thursday's edition.

All and all, I love Craigslist from my experiences with it. I'm sure some others have some bad experiences with it.

• Premium Member

I've had good and bad aswell. Best was a short film for a student I dp'd. Good fun old time. Did it for no pay just because I liked the script. . .now if I could only get my "copy." Damnit!

But yeah, Craiglists, and the a certain extent mandy are kinda a crap shoot. You get some good ones, and some bad ones.

I've had good and bad aswell. Best was a short film for a student I dp'd. Good fun old time. Did it for no pay just because I liked the script. . .now if I could only get my "copy." Damnit!

But yeah, Craiglists, and the a certain extent mandy are kinda a crap shoot. You get some good ones, and some bad ones.

Gotta say, it sounds just like any regular non-Craigslist gig to me. I have never done a Craigslist/ Mandy gig, (I mostly get producers calling me to work on gigs) and that is exactly how it goes, some good gigs and some bad gigs. The luck of the draw.

Agree with comments about clist being a mixed bag. I got my fist grip gig from craigslist last May. I was brought on as an intern on an indie feature called "I Sell the Dead". Met and learned from some really awesome guys. It was this job where I realized that G&E guys are by far the wittiest group of guys on the planet - possibly the universe. I must have made an impression because I still get the occasional phone call from the Key Grip when he's looking to bring on an additional.

Sadly, none of the subsequent clist jobs have been as positive as this experience.

• Premium Member

Craigslist and Mandy have been good to me...

I got some of my first paid jobs from there, and some freebies that got me connections that led to paid work. Even got my first feature through there.

And, yeah, some cruddy jobs as well. And weird interviews that scared me away from jobs.

But all in all I have to say it's been as good as it could be.

Same roller coaster here as well. I've had some great gigs, people who are really well organized and professional and just happen to need a DP. Others who have no idea what they want, no idea of how to get it, and want a DP to dictate what they should do...those are the ones I can't seem to get a copy from!

But I've made some great connections with some really creative locals, hopefully these connections willl turn into something fulfilling and lucrative ;)

It really is a big rollercoaster ride. Most of my best jobs have been through Craigslist, a 100k feature DP job through Craigslist, some other work, I've met some good crews through looking for crew on Craigslist. I know it sounds like a low way to find work, but I think like a lot of filmmakers out there, there are probably a lot of directors and producers who really do know what they are doing, but just don't know where to find the people to get it done. Sure, you won't be getting your next gig working for Spielberg on Craigslist, but, it's a good place to start, a good place to network, and really, since it's a big portion luck and timing in our industry, Craigslist/Mandy are an excellent place to put your foot in the door.

• Premium Member
Same for phila under the "jobs," but under "gigs" we we a good deal of real jobs. Normally the jobs are under "gigs" here in the states (for phila and NY i've noticed)

LA is kinda split. Jobs gets a lot of cast calls and production staff posts. Most of the good below the line stuff is under gigs.

My best story, is about an interview on a restaurant in Santa Monica where after showing 1 demo reel of Music videos, 1 of commercials and 2 dvds of films currently on Blockbuster, the woman looked at me and said:" All I want is a simple interview lighting, 3 point lighting kind of a deal, do you have anything like that? "

• Premium Member
All I want is a simple interview lighting, 3 point lighting kind of a deal, do you have anything like that? "

What's so funny about that? Different projects have different needs. If you didn't think it was a good enough project, why did you apply for it? Hey, if it was a paying gig, I'd be there (with my 3-light 1.5K Tungsten kit ;) )

• Premium Member
What's so funny about that? Different projects have different needs. If you didn't think it was a good enough project, why did you apply for it? Hey, if it was a paying gig, I'd be there (with my 3-light 1.5K Tungsten kit ;) )

I think his point is that, after seeing many, many things more intricately and artfully lit, she asked if he could do the very most basic standard setup one can light.

• Premium Member
I think his point is that, after seeing many, many things more intricately and artfully lit, she asked if he could do the very most basic standard setup one can light.

i thought the most basic light setup was the "movie light" on the front of the camera. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
i thought the most basic light setup was the "movie light" on the front of the camera. :lol:

I think that would fall into the category of "illuminating" rather than "lighting." ;)