EX3

Thomas Smith

Hi,

I´m going to buy an HD camcorder soon, and i don´t know if the EX3 it´s the right choice, right now i think it is, but the price seems to high.

What do you think about this camcorder? and if it´s the right choice.

Thanx.

It has some nice feature for studio work and multi-Cam. The removable lens is pretty nice, but professional glass can equally cost more than the camera itself.

I´m affraid so...

Are there some news about adapters for this camera from sony or another company?

Thanx for your quick reply

• Premium Member

Not that I know of, or have googled. I think they will be making an Adapter to used 2/3" eng lenses, but nothing for PL/Nikon/Canon that I'm yet aware of.

Of course, you can go with a Letus or the like and throw it on front if you needed to I'm sure.

For myself, I'm going with an EX1 and Letus, the notion being I can separate the two if needed.

Fujinon makes and has available the ACM-21 1/2 -2/3 lens adapter for the EX3. I'm taking delivery hopefully by Monday 3- EX3 units I will be using to shoot an Animal Planet show with in September.

Edited by Michael Palmer

We have them here now at Abel. They are very nice cameras. The camera comes with an adaptor to use standard 1/2" mount lenses that have been for Sony cameras for years. There additionally is an adapter to get from this to 2/3" and Fujinon has or will have an adapter to get straight from the EX3 mount to 2/3".

There are a couple of advanages of the EX3 over the EX1 beyond the interchangeable lenses. Timecode in & out, genlock, and remote camera control (paintbox) compatibility are probably the biggest. If these aren't important then the EX1 is still an excellent camera.

I like the EX1 OK. It is big and bulky to begin with, I can't imagine its size when coupled with a Letus or similar 35mm lens adapter, plus the 35mm lens itself and the rods to keep it all together. Much too big for me.

The EX3 with a 2/3 inch Fujinon lens adapter and a mini 35/ Pro 35 (whichever fits the 2/3' mount best, pbly the Pro 35) would be the way to go, IMO. Unless the two adapters just don't play well with each other, it is best to bypass the camcorder's lens and just go straight into the 35mm adapter, saving space and dual focus/ exposure issues, etc. Obviously, some camcorders don't have intrechangable lenses, which is why I like the EX3.

After much ranting against HDV, the EX1 / EX3's VBR capabilities make them a better choice than any other HDV camera out there and I am slowly warming up to them . . .

Still, I would love to see an interchangeable 1/2 inch sensor or better AVC INTRA / DVCPRO HD camcorder from Panasonic. Its new HMC 150 misses the mark completely, due to its lack of interchangeable lenses and tiny 1/3' sensor, not to mention is not shoulder mounted . . .

• Premium Member

Thomas,

After attending the Sony EX1/EX3 presentation at BandPro, I went with the EX1 because most of the shooting I have in mind for this camera requires something I can put in a backpack and take into remote areas.

The EX3 has some great features, like the ability to use different lenses and get to the framerate settings without toggling through the menus, but in the end, the larger, non-removable, non-foldable viewfinder was the dealbreaker--even though I almost always prefer to keep my eye to the viewfinder when operating and the EX3's viewfinder eyepiece setup is more to my liking. As much as I liked it, I could only imagine the viewfinder getting slammed and breaking off on the first day of shooting. It just seems fragile to me.

They both seem like great cameras for the money. Other than a little Canon GL2, this is my first non-film camera, and while the images are definitely not as good as film IMO, they are very impressive for the price point.

The Sony rep told me the quality of the images produced by each camera are identical. Of course, interchangeable lenses might be nice, but the EX1's lens seems to cover quite a bit of range.

-Fran

• 5 months later...

We have them here now at Abel. They are very nice cameras. The camera comes with an adaptor to use standard 1/2" mount lenses that have been for Sony cameras for years.

which lenses are this?

There additionally is an adapter to get from this to 2/3" and Fujinon has or will have an adapter to get straight from the EX3 mount to 2/3".

is that adapter for rent at abel cientech? is this adapter mechanical or it has optical elements? is there any magnification efect?

tx

changku

We have them here now at Abel. They are very nice cameras. The camera comes with an adaptor to use standard 1/2" mount lenses that have been for Sony cameras for years. There additionally is an adapter to get from this to 2/3" and Fujinon has or will have an adapter to get straight from the EX3 mount to 2/3".

Do I understand correctly - the adapter will mount straight onto camera, not on the EX-3 lens.

Right?